Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

woodyinoz

Dataset Refresh Error

Hi,

Please bear with me as I'm new to this and still finding my way around!

I have a dataset that looks at an Excel spreadsheet which is on our LAN.

I have been looking to get this dataset on a scheduled refresh so that the data will always be as up-to-date as possible for users viewing it as a published report on our intranet (using the generated https link). However, I am getting the following error against the dataset:

Last refresh failed: Thu Jul 12 2018 08:22:20 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
Scheduled refresh has been disabled.
Hide details

Data source error:Scheduled refresh has been disabled due to at least one data source not having credentials provided. Please provide credentials for all data sources, and then turn scheduled refresh back on.
Cluster URI:WABI-UK-SOUTH-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:26ce1c09-d99a-423f-8188-5680c37695ac
Request ID:8f946d3a-61e3-1b54-92e7-b5180aea1141
Time:

2018-07-12 07:22:20Z

The credentials used are Active Directory account details which do have access to the network location and file. If I test all connections the datasource in question says connection successful.

This is driving me mad now... Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I'm using an enterprise gateway installed on a server, not a personal gateway.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @woodyinoz

(1)How do you connect to your data source, do you use an FTP URL through the "From Web" choice?

if so, you are meant to set Schedule Refresh in Power BI Web for an Excel file hosted on a domain internal ftp server.

It should be noted you'll be able to refresh it manually when running in Power Query, Excel or Power BI Desktop, but you won't be able to schedule a refresh in the Power BI service, for that the data gateway does not support refreshing from a ftp.

this thread provides a workaround

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/connection-with-ftp/td-p/91792

(2) How about storing the excel spreadsheet on local computer or on OneDrive for Bussiness? Then configure scheduled refresh for them?

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

No I don't use an FTP URL to connect to the data source and the file is already located on a local computer (server). 

Thanks

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.