Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

petersi
Helper II
Helper II

Dataset Auto Update

I have put together a report in Power BI Desktop - and have uploaded it to Power BI. I am trying to determine how the AutoUpdate works. I have multiple datasets defined from within the report. The only time I can get the report data to update if I do a manual update from within Power BI Desktop. So, how does the auto update work - for a deployed report. 

Note: the dataset queires are configured as an import type..

A clarification. I am not seeing the report visual update when a scheduled dataset update occurred, This is what I'm trying to understand (why it does not update the visuals - or even if the data is being updated - which I see no dataset viewer to see what the current dataset is)

10 REPLIES 10
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @petersi,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

none of the answers applied. I had to rebuild the definitions on Power BI then the Auto Update started working. It is unclear what was the problem as there was nothing different I had done when rebuilding.

shill1000
Helper IV
Helper IV

It all depends on your data source. Have you tried scheduling an update in the report settings? If it doesn't allow you to schedule it then its likely an issue with the data source type, your license type or another factor. You haven;t provided enough information to diagnose the issue.

data source is a Azure Sql Server DB. From what I'e read this type of datasource allows for auto updating. I don't see any update options in the report settings (not sure what you are referring to). I see the auto update in Power BI - and is set to update every hour. I read Power BI sets this automatically.

Select teh work space you are using. Select Settings from the top right menu. Select Datasets from the top left menu. Select the dataset you are using for your report and the scheduling options should appear on the right. Power BI defaults to a daily refresh unless you tell it otherwise.

As I mentioned -- I saw this already - and it is set.

Is it set the same for all datasets? You indicated you use multiple sets.

per Power BI documentation -- all datasets defined within a report are combined into one dataset on Power BI. So I have only one Dataset on Power BI. All are configured with the same infomration - and credentials. I can manually update the Datasets within the report via the manual update. No credentials are requested so it looks like the credentials are available. I see now errors on Power BI when an scheduled update is performed.

Hi @petersi,

According to my test, we need to update the credential after publishing to the web.Dataset Auto Update.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry, you now see errors or you see no errors? If you are seeing errors, what are they?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.