Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

crost
Frequent Visitor

Datamart Row Level Security Options

Hello, 

I am working to build out some HR Dashboards for my organization, which understandably would require limitations on who can view what internally.  However a few different issues are cropping up:

• There are situations where I would want an HR Business Partner to only see their purview, but also situations where I'd want them to see the entire organization's data. It seems to me like restricting their data views to be tied to their account would then make it impossible for them to see the holistic data they might want to have access to in another area of their work. Is there a way to make the RLS setup in the datamart something I can select per report to allow for this kind of flexibility across different reports/dashboards?
  • Similarly, there is a hope that in the long term, we'll be able to make a high-level overview that's viewable by lots of different people outside of the HR organization using the same data.  If there is Row Level Security implemented, that would preclude the average individual contributor from being able to participate in this, correct?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @crost ,

If you want to use RLS, bear in mind that the RLS will behave the same way in all reports, which are connected to the Datamart / Dataset.

So in case you want to restrict view in one report and the same person should have different restriction in a different report, it's better to do some page level security trick (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye4WIJDfdpY) or have additional datasets and each has different RLS logic.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @crost ,

If you want to use RLS, bear in mind that the RLS will behave the same way in all reports, which are connected to the Datamart / Dataset.

So in case you want to restrict view in one report and the same person should have different restriction in a different report, it's better to do some page level security trick (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye4WIJDfdpY) or have additional datasets and each has different RLS logic.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

That's what I was afraid you were going to say.  Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.