Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Omega
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Dataformat.Error: We couldn't convert to Number

Hi all,

I have a column that have a mixture of numbers and text. Some cells consist of only numbers while others have a mixture.

For example, I have a cell that have 4230290 and another that have 3901-4293AC

I have changed the column format to text to avoid errors but I keep getting "DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Number."

Can someone please help? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

It could be that there's an earlier step in your query that's trying to convert that column to a number, try looking to see whether there is and removing it

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

It could be that there's an earlier step in your query that's trying to convert that column to a number, try looking to see whether there is and removing it

I had a similar issue today. WOuld like to pivot a set of data ,

e.g. Area A/B/C in column 1, Sales X/Y/Z in column 2,

into Column 1 (Area A /Sales X), Column 2 (Area b/Sales Y), COlumn 3 (Area C/Sales Z).

After reading this trail, I realized pivoting can only be made, after converting column SALES XYZ from numbers into text format. But why is that? Isn't the purpose of the pivot to add up numbers and that could only be made via number format?

Thank you for posting this. Seems like little advice but prevents you from chasing your tail. 

I have the same issue but I remove some steps in applied steps frame, the value return blank instead of text value.

Please instruct me how to fix it

Thanks

Linh

In the applied steps pane there should be a step that sets the data types. I would find the column causing the error and change the data type to "type any". You can enter this in the Formula bar at the top of the page.

I tried to get data again & this is the applied steps

I cannot see the change type step. 

image.png

In the format bar, I cannot see Type Any, can you pls show me the capture screen?

image.png

You are looking at the "Errors in Billing condition" table when you should be looking at the "Billing condition" table. In there, a step should exist for Changed Type. Find the problem column and change it as shown below:

If the formula bar below is not showing you need to select Formula Bar, which can be found under the View tab.

Untitled.png

Thanks Jcarville. I can do it Smiley Very Happy

Excellent, please mark the solution so other people with the same issue can find a solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.