Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dataflows and accessing with Power BI desktop. Where does the data sit?

I am doing some work for someone and I want to make sure I am telling them the correct information

I am going to sign in to their Power BI service with the email they have given me and we are going to set up a dataflow with data from an excel spreadsheet

that data is then held in their own Power BI secure tabular database in the cloud and not on my machine.

Then, I log into my Power BI Desktop, and Get Data from the Dataflow. I want to make sure that at this point the data stays in the Power BI Service Tabular model, and doesnt get cashed in memory on my machine.

If this was the case we would have to rethink the entire process, because they dont want the data on my own computer.

Any help on this would be really appreciated

Debbie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DebbieE ,

I looked a little better on the documentation and they refer:

DirectQuery: Tables with this setting aren't cached. Queries that you submit to the Power BI dataset—for example, DAX queries—and that return data from DirectQuery tables can be fulfilled only by executing on-demand queries to the data source. Queries that you submit to the data source use the query language for that data source, for example, SQL.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-storage-mode#use-the-storage-mode-property

Since Dataflows work on direct query they will not be cached on your computer. Check the link I send up with a further explanations on the connections and the way they are cached.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @DebbieE ,

This is a blog about performance but references the cache part, so maybe you can have additional information about what you need.

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/11/20/referenced-queries-and-caching-in-power-bi-and-power-query/

Regards

Miguel Félix

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Im struggling to get what I need from your blog which is in regard to dataflows

Basically, If Im getting data from a dataflow, does the data stay in Service. the data doesnt get cached in memory on my machine?

Hi @DebbieE ,

I looked a little better on the documentation and they refer:

DirectQuery: Tables with this setting aren't cached. Queries that you submit to the Power BI dataset—for example, DAX queries—and that return data from DirectQuery tables can be fulfilled only by executing on-demand queries to the data source. Queries that you submit to the data source use the query language for that data source, for example, SQL.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-storage-mode#use-the-storage-mode-property

Since Dataflows work on direct query they will not be cached on your computer. Check the link I send up with a further explanations on the connections and the way they are cached.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.