Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hnguyen76
Resolver II
Resolver II

Dataflow Incremental Refresh in Premium

Good morning!

I'm beginning to dive into dataflows using a premium environment. If I understood incremental refreshes correctly, only new data should get refreshed, right? I think with my current setup, the entire entity gets refreshes on a scheduled refresh. I think. If not, then my question is: Is there a way to create a column maybe called "CreatedOn" and show when the data was added to the entity?

The setup:
1. Create custom entity for dataflows with initial one month of historical data from a folder on a server.
2. Single table is supplied / consumed with two datetime columns: Date and LastRefreshed:

Date = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Date", each DateTime.FromText([Month] & "/1/" & [Year]), type datetime),
  LastRefreshed = Table.AddColumn(Date, "LastRefreshed", each DateTime.From(DateTimeZone.ToText(DateTimeZone.FixedUtcNow(), "dd-MMM-yyyy hh:mm tt")), type datetime),
  #"HFMData-44617465-autogenerated_for_incremental_refresh" = Table.SelectRows(LastRefreshed, each DateTime.From([Date]) >= RangeStart and DateTime.From([Date]) < RangeEnd)
in
  #"HFMData-44617465-autogenerated_for_incremental_refresh"

3. Initial Refresh + add incremental refresh settings:
dataflow_incremental.png
4. Connected to dataflow and check first dataset last refreshed:
dataflow_refresh_01.png
5. Added new data to folder and waited for scheduled refresh. From what I can understand, the second refresh shouldn't change the values of the unchanged data but upon second refresh it seems to have:
dataflow_refresh_02.png

Looking into the parameters supplied by the auto-generated RangeStart and RangeEnd I see "1/1/1901" and "12/31/9999" so I'm assuming it's picking up all the data within that range on refresh? Please correct me and guide me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@hnguyen76 

You may try using original column instead of a custom column to detect data changes.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-chuncz-msft 
When you say original column instead of custom column. What do you mean? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.