Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joshua1990
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Databricks very slow

Hello all,

I recently got access to a Databricks cluster. In PBI Desktop I use the Azure Databricks connection type to access this data.
Is it possible that Databricks is not primarily intended for importing large tables? But rather intended to work through Direct Query? Compared to Oracle, ODBC or Impala, Databricks is really very slow here.

Does anyone know what could be the reason for this?

Would it be helpful to access the Databricks cluster via ODBC?

Using an enterprise gateway and a corresponding dataflow, the refresh is faster than in PBI Desktop.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @joshua1990

Maybe you can access the Databricks cluster via ODBC.

Please refer:

https://mauridb.medium.com/powerbi-and-azure-databricks-193e3dc567a

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

daxer-almighty
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

The answer is as usual: it depends. It's no secret that the best and fastest data source for PBI is a relational database. But the speed depends on many factors. One of them being the throughput of the network and the quality of the driver. I have no experience with Databricks as the source for PBI, so can't really comment on this any more than I have. I can just add that getting data from a plain csv file is much faster than from other data sources (minus the relational db mentioned). It might also be faster to get data from a parquet file if the data is BIG.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.