Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

v-dabatc
Employee
Employee

Database change leads to Switching to Import Mode

We have a set of reports that feed from an Azure SQL database, which I'll refer to as the "test" database.  The reports are using DirectQuery.  We'd like to instead have these same reports read from a different database, a production Azure SQL database.  This production database is the same as the test database (same schema as well as same data).  When I connect to the production database, select the table I want to use, and click 'Load', I receive the following message:

Switching to Import Mode

The data source you are trying to connect to is different than the existing DirectQuery data source.  To continue, all queries must be switched to Import mode, which may result in a large amount of data being loaded.

We'd like to keep our charts and filters intact, and only change where the data is coming from.  I saw another post on this site about specifiying port numbers in the connection, but that's not relevant in this case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pqian
Employee
Employee

@v-dabatc we are aware of this scenario and is actively working on a feature that will help you migrate the report to a different data source.

Since DirectQuery currently has a limitation on single data source, you cannot mix test and prod servers in one report. Instead, once you finished building your report against the test instance, you can click Edit Queries and edit the Source step for each of the queries to change the server to a new one.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

As a troubleshooting measure, if you create a new Power BI Desktop file and new connection, do you get the option to connect in DirectQuery to that database?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, when I create a new file and connect to my production database, I am presented with the dialog box asking me to choose between Import or DirectQuery.

pqian
Employee
Employee

@v-dabatc we are aware of this scenario and is actively working on a feature that will help you migrate the report to a different data source.

Since DirectQuery currently has a limitation on single data source, you cannot mix test and prod servers in one report. Instead, once you finished building your report against the test instance, you can click Edit Queries and edit the Source step for each of the queries to change the server to a new one.

I should add that you must change ALL loaded queries at once. In other words, there cannot be two data source instances loaded into a DirectQuery model

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.