Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alex95

Database Not Showing In Power BI But Is Showing In Excel

Hi all, I'm currently having a couple of issues trying to link data from a database in SQL Server to Power BI Desktop. However, I can access all the tables from Excel with no issues at all. I believe it may be some kind of Windows Authentication issue I'm missing but not sure as the same authentication works fine in Excel. The connection string is (LocalDB)\MSSQLLocalDB and I think I'm running on SQL Server Express if I remember correctly as I only want a local instance on my computer. I get a message stating "We couldn't authenticate your account credentials provided. Please try again." in Power BI, but if I do the same thing in Excel it works fine with the Navigator displaying the database as well as the tables. If I try to log in without specifying the optional database in Power BI it connects but the navigator only shows "(LocalDB)\MSSQLLocalDB" and not the database or any of the tables. This makes me think there may be user privileges I have to assign in to the database in Management Studio and try logging in with those but not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Alex
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Alex95 ,

It seems that you have probelms when you get data from SQL Servere Database in Power BI.

Firstly, please check if you have installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop 2.67.5404.581.

In addition, based on your error message, it seems that error should be caused by your credential.

Normally, when we get data with SQL Server Database connector, we should use Database credential and type in the username and password which could sign in when you open the database.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Alex95 ,

It seems that you have probelms when you get data from SQL Servere Database in Power BI.

Firstly, please check if you have installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop 2.67.5404.581.

In addition, based on your error message, it seems that error should be caused by your credential.

Normally, when we get data with SQL Server Database connector, we should use Database credential and type in the username and password which could sign in when you open the database.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry, Thanks for the response. I was on a PowerBI version running off the App Store which was also a March 2019 release but I downloaded the latest version as you suggested which wasn't on the app store and it seems to have worked with my Windows credentials. It seems to be displaying all the relevant tables and the database is showing. Not sure why it wasn't working before but it's great that it's working now. Thanks for your help and time! Alex

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.