Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jocms

DataSource.Error when I try to get Facebook profile picture

This is the response from Facebook Graph Explorer:

{
  "data": {
    "height": 200,
    "is_silhouette": false,
    "url": "https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-1/p200x200/picture.png",
    "width": 200
  }
}

From the Power BI Desktop I get this error:

I think it's because the data is inside the "data" object but I don't know how I can fix it.

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

click edit query, and go to first step which will be source, i guess you see something like record, if yes, click on record, it will show you values from json, and then choose "into table" on convert tab.

it will give you name and value columns, select name column and go to transform tab, click "pivot column",  and  in value columns choose you will have "Value" and click advanced option, chooise "Don't aggregate"

At end of this , you expect column headers from json with data in rows.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

The error is in the source, I can't pass from there.

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-12 a las 4.19.47 p.m..png

For some reason it expect a "Table" but gets a "Record".

Could it be a bug in the Facebook connector?

I have no problem with queries that return me JSON like:

{
  "name": "Facebook page name",
  "id": "1234456789"
}

try this, go to advance editor and wrap everything in json.document function

Json.Document(Facebook.Graph.....)

and see if it works.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

I try the Json.Document wrap but it did not work. Smiley Sad

Facebook Graph is not part of the selection list.

I follow this tutorial but I edit the Source (guiding me from the Graph API Reference) to obtain the data I need. So far almost everything has worked except for this profile image API that returns a different JSON structure.

Gotcha, in that case you need to use Get Data and Web as your data source and I assume that will do it.

Yep, I guess I'll do that for now. Thanks.

facebook graph  is part of selection list when you connect to facebook as datasource?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.