Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ushah763
Helper I
Helper I

DataSource.Error: Web.Contents failed to get contents from Salesforce.com

DataSource.Error: Web.Contents failed to get contents from 'https://acmeinc.my.salesforce.com/services/data/v27.0/query?q=SELECT%20Id%2CIsDeleted%2CMasterRecord......

I am trying to connect to the Lead table in Salesforce.com and keep getting this error. This query used to work. I am not sure what changed to prevent it from working.

I have tried many solutions on the forum and none seem to work. I also tried connecting via Excel PowerQuery and get the same error, but the query works in Tableau which leads me to think this is related to a Microsoft driver or API into Salesforce.com.

Could use some help here.

even a preview query produces the error in Power Bi Desktop:

pbi_error.png

11 REPLIES 11
ReportGuru
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi, @ushah763 were you able to find a solution? As a workaround, maybe you can try to test your connection with a 3rd party connector. I've tried windsor.ai, supermetrics and funnel.io. I stayed with windsor because it is much cheaper so just to let you know other options. In case you wonder, to make the connection first search for the Salesforce connector in the data sources list:

SALESFORCE-1.png

After that, just grant access to your Salesforce account using your credentials, then on preview and destination page you will see a preview of your Salesforce fields:

SALESFORCE-2.png

There just select the fields you need. It is also compatible with custom fields and custom objects, so you'll be able to export them through windsor.  Finally, just select PBI as your data destination and finally just copy and paste the url on PBI --> Get Data --> Web --> Paste the url. 

SELECT_DESTINATION_NEW.png

I am also getting this error in power bi desktop, will using web version solve this

AzAhm

This workaround from the original source (Follow this Link) worked for me, in case anyone is still looking for a solution on this

let
    Source = Salesforce.Data("[salesforce URL]", [CreateNavigationProperties = true]),
    Account1 = Source{[Name="Account"]}[Data],
    Account2 = Table.SelectColumns(Account1, { "First Column", "Second Column" })
in
    Account2
djaxkappa

So after playing around with this for a while here's what I think - 

This is an issue that you can get around by using the choose columns step after bringing in the SF object. The reason this works is because of query folding in PowerBI - the query that PowerBI sends to SF after you include a remove/choose columns step is small enough to work.

However! If there is anything else in your query that would turn OFF query folding - (for me, this happened when I added a relative date filter), then this solution will no longer work, because now PowerBI is trying to query the full SF object, and then after that comes back apply a choose/remove columns. 

So - the workaround that worked for me, if available to you - put the base query in a PBI dataflow (SF connection and choose columns), then bring in the dataflow to PBI and apply any additional transformation to that. 

Here's a link to more infromation about query folding: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/power-query-folding

Hope this helps.

carloshluiz
Regular Visitor

Hi @ushah763 

I have the same problem. Did you have a solution?

best regards

Hi Carloshluiz,

Unfortuately no solution was found as it looks like its an error where the individual SFDC object has more columns than the limit of SFDC Connector in Power BI.

The workaround I found it I now use an addin to SFDC called Salesforce Inspector to build my queries for those tables and then copy the columns i've selected in SFDC Inspector over to Power BI.

Hope that helps.

Atish

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same problem...did you find a solution?

akhatri
Helper I
Helper I

Im having this exact same issue trying to load a Salesforce object. Did you manage to find the cause of this?

Regards

Atish

ushah763
Helper I
Helper I

p.s.

i tried reducing the query to only a few columns, this didn't work:

let
Source = Salesforce.Data("https://acmeinc.my.salesforce.com/", [CreateNavigationProperties=true]),
Lead = Source{[Name="Lead"]}[Data],
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Last_Status_Date__c", "Last_Converted_Status_Date__c", "Id", "Lead_Owner_Name__c","Name", "Title", "Lead_Owner_Sub_Territory__c", "Company", "State", "Country", "Phone", "Email", "CreatedDate", "LastActivityDate","Status", "DoNotCall", "Lead_Account_Sales_Program_Type__c", "Account_Type__c","ActivityHistories","LS_Status__c" })

in
Lead

Hi @ushah763 

It seems you may check the query.Please have a look at below post to check if it could help you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5abe0a7e-1894-4437-b5c3-75e24bdb5017/how-can-i-que...

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That does not help. I already tried selecting select columns in the editor, but it seems i need to do so in the initial query to salesforce.com and not sure how to do that. The post you referenced does not show that either.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.