Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pfurbish
Frequent Visitor

DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed for an Excel file on OneDrive for Business

Yesterday I started getting the following error in the Power Query Editor (desktop):

Unable to Connect

We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details:DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed: ...' 

The data source is an Excel file on OneDrive for Business (multiple files).  The data connections have been live for months and just started failing yesterday without any changes to the data source parameters. I believe it is an issue with Power BI for Desktop since I can still perform a data refresh from the Power BI service.  I cleared the Power BI desktop cache.  I also signed out of Power BI, restarted my PC then signed back in to Power BI.   I do not have any issue accessing the Excel files from OneDrive for Business - online or from Excel on my PC.  I'm using the same Microsoft account for Power BI and OneDrive for Business.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pfurbish
Frequent Visitor

I worked on this issue today.  I uninstalled Power BI June release, installed the Power BI May release, then I was able to connect to my Excel files on OneDrive for Business.  Interestingly, I was reprompted for my SharePoint credentials when I opened the Query Editor.  I think the issue was caused by the way the credentials were stored.  So I re-installed the June release and the issue has not returned. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
pfurbish
Frequent Visitor

I worked on this issue today.  I uninstalled Power BI June release, installed the Power BI May release, then I was able to connect to my Excel files on OneDrive for Business.  Interestingly, I was reprompted for my SharePoint credentials when I opened the Query Editor.  I think the issue was caused by the way the credentials were stored.  So I re-installed the June release and the issue has not returned. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.