Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DataSource.Error - Error code 8632

Hello all,

I have a .pbix file using Direct Query to query an Azure SQL Database. Trying to create a date key in my Electricity and Gas Telemetry Data tables I am replacing values (1 to 01, 2 to 02 etc.) in the columns Month and Day (data types text), so as to eventually concatenate these columns and a year column to form a date key.

Replacing values works fine until I arrive at replacing 8 with 08, upon which the error as shown in attachment appears. Exactly the same happens for both Gas and Electricity and I can replace 8 with 08 for Month or Day only (instead of both at the same time), but after that I cannot replace any values anymore, almost as if there is some kind of quotum on this.

Can anyone help me out with what is happening here and how to solve it? Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards,

Robin Neven

Error Code 8632Error Code 8632

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

The product team say that this is simply a limitation of the product today. Please try with following two possible workarounds.

1) Load the data as-is and use DAX to create a calculated column with the necessary transformation.

2) Create the mapping as a table on the SQL Server and use joins to do the transformation.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

The product team say that this is simply a limitation of the product today. Please try with following two possible workarounds.

1) Load the data as-is and use DAX to create a calculated column with the necessary transformation.

2) Create the mapping as a table on the SQL Server and use joins to do the transformation.

Best Regards,

Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

This error means that we're generating a query that SQL Server thinks is too complicated. One workaround is to do the steps locally. This can be done by going to the last step that works and then clicking the "fx" in the formula bar. That will insert a new custom step whose value is "= PreviousStepName". Change this to read "= Table.Buffer(PreviousStepName)" and press enter. Subsequent steps will be performed locally instead of on the server and will avoid the server limitation.

It would be helpful if you can enable and capture a trace of the error happening inside PBI Desktop. Go to the Diagnostics tab of the Options dialog and enable traces. After reproducing the error, send the files whose names start with "Microsoft.Mashup". (You can upload the file to online file service like OneDrive and share it)

If given a copy of your query, we may be able to suggest a different workaround.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Herbert,

I forgot to mention in my original post that this is a Direct Query pbix and unfortunately your given solution does not work for DQ.

I am very much open to another workaround and have the 'Microsoft.Mashup' file ready on my OneDrive. What e-mail address can I share it to? I do not full comfortable just posting a link in this forum.

Thank you.

Regards,

Robin

@Anonymous

Please refer to my PM.

Best Regards,

Herbert

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I can reproduce the issue on my side. And already reported internally, will keep you updated once I get any feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.