Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jim_
Helper I
Helper I

DataSource.Error: Could not find file...

When I refresh a project I am working on I get the error listed above.  I can navigate to the file and open it.  Is there any known reason that BI would lose the ability to connect to a file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jim_,

Please click the file->Options and Settings->Data Source Settings, you will get the following data source settings navigator. Then select change source(highlighted in red line), please check the path and open file as right format.

3.png

what's your data soure? I post an example using .xls file above. Please check if it works fine. Please share more details if you have still find other issue.

Thanks,
Angelia

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have insights into the M function that can be implemented to handle the non-existence of a file being used as a data source?  I am building a report template that will be used for multiple data sets, and some files will occassionally be missing, so I'm trying to implement a solution that can handle this scenario.  Table.IsEmpty does not resolve the issue, since there is no empty table.

You can wrap anything in M with a "try <whatever you are trying to do> otherwise <do something else>"

Not exactly sure how to implement in your situation, but maybe there is a way to have PBI ignore the cases where the file is missing (and throws and error).

Anonymous
Not applicable

You just answered the question for me, thank You.

The way to fully enanble this is to add another last step where you ask M if the Source is equal to the otherwise statement and substitute it for the last previous step if it isn't.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm including parameters for the root folder (i.e. full data set), and the below file ('filename.csv') won't always be present in the data sets, so I'm looking for an alternative to disabling this query when the file is missing since that would cause all my measures to disappear in my template.   Any solution that would allow the other queries to run successfully would work for me, as the end user will just delete the tabs in the report that pull from this source.

Source= Csv.Document(File.Contents(#Source & "\filename.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=11, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None])

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jim_,

Please click the file->Options and Settings->Data Source Settings, you will get the following data source settings navigator. Then select change source(highlighted in red line), please check the path and open file as right format.

3.png

what's your data soure? I post an example using .xls file above. Please check if it works fine. Please share more details if you have still find other issue.

Thanks,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this problem too. The issue seems to be there is no .pbix file option for file type:

jgscott3_0-1605578550735.png

Hi @Anonymous 

Just replied to you here https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/No-pbix-option-in-quot-Open-file-as-quot-dialog/m-p/1497695#M46604

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

I did check this and it was correct, however I tried browsing to the file again and that seemed to work.

Thanks!!!

Can you post a screenshot of the formula bar for the Source step?  Make sure the file paths match and the Source step includes the full file path (i.e. the ".xlsx" for excel, not just the folder location)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.