Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

palmpen
Frequent Visitor

DataSource.Error: AnalysisServices: A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running.

I am having problem connecting Power BI Desktop (v2.25.4095.554) in client laptop to SSAS Cube in the server (v2012 Enterprise Edition with SP2). I keep getting error message: "DataSource.Error: AnalysisServices: A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running". I tried 32 & 64 bit Power BI Desktop and the corresponding SQL_AS_ADOMD.msi.

I can connect Excel in my laptop to the SSAS cube without problem. I am able to connect Power BI Desktop to the SQL Server DB in the same server.

Please give me some advice. Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
jotaandres
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

Did anybody find the solution for this,

I'm trying to connect from Power BI Desktop Version: 2.34.4372.322 64-bit (April, 2016) to SQL Analysis server  SQL 2014 Enterprise y Versión: 2.31.4280.661 64-bit (January 2016) y recibo el mismo error.

"

AnalysisServices: A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running."

When I connect from Excel 2013 via the data menu it works no problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jorge

@palmpen

While you cannot "connect" to your cube in the way that you can a tabular model yet (recognizes and pulls in relationships etc) you can query your cube, and as of today MDX/DAX queries are supported in the August update of the Desktop. You can check it out here

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I still have the issue connecting Power BI Desktop (v2.25.4095.554) in client laptop to SSAS Cube in the server (v2012 Enterprise Edition with SP2). I keep getting error message: "DataSource.Error: AnalysisServices: A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running". I tried 32 & 64 bit Power BI Desktop and the corresponding SQL_AS_ADOMD.msi.

I can connect Excel in my laptop to the SSAS cube without problem.
I am able to connect Power BI Desktop to the SQL Server DB (Relational) in the same server.

I am not using Power BI Personal Gateway and SSAS Connector.
I am not trying to connect to SSAS Tabular model, but just the SSAS Multidimensional Cube.

Please give me some advice. Thank you.

First - I recommend you download the latest Desktop version that I provided a link to in my first response. Current version number is 2.26.4128.403 (you need this version to write MDX/DAX.
Second - you only have one option to select to connect to your cube, this one:

Untitled.png

If you can confirm the above is what you are doing, there may be issues related to location of the SSAS cube as it relates to domain and/or username or permissions..

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes, that's the one I use; "Select items and get data from Multidimensional or Tabular model".

Btw, I have no issue connecting Excel to the SSAS Cube, I also test it with Tableau, and no issue.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Have you installed the SSAS gateway?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi smoupre,

By 'SSAS Gateway', are you referring to "Power BI Analysis Services Connector", "Personal Gateway", or something else?

Anyway I tried AS Connector, but this is not for my environment. I don't use Tabular mode, but only the Multidimensional Cube. AS Connector seems only works with Tabular.

I am not an expert in this bu maybe that is the case...connecting live PBI desktop to SSAS uses current windows credentials..So  the client ( laptop ) needs to be in the domain and the user has access..

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/665278-analysis-services-tabular-data-in-power-bi...

Untitled.png

Konstantinos Ioannou

Hi Konstantinos,

I don't use live connection to Tabular model. Only connecting to Multidimensional Cube.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Multidimensional cubes are not yet supported

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.