Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DataFormat.Error: We reached the end of the buffer.

Hi,

So I am puzzled by this problem, and I am now at my wits' end.

I have a PBI Desktop report with tables from an on-prem SQL Server and an Azure SQL database using import. I tried to add two more tables from the same Azure database. Both tables have a column with a JSON object in it. The root table is the same in Azure SQL, but I get two different selections of it in Power BI. I go through these steps with each table:

Capture.JPG

Everything works fine in query editor, but as soon as I try to apply the changes, I get an error on one of the tables. The error reads: DataFormat.Error: We reached the end of the buffer. 

What I have tried:

- Loading only one of the new tables at a time. Only one of them fails. 

- I have the newest version of Power BI Desktop.

- Restarting PBI Desktop and the server I remoting to. 

- Checking resource usage on the Azure SQL DB. The queries are not consuming a lot of resources. 

Any suggestions are welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

So, apparently just waiting and trying again the day after solved the problem. A bit frustrating since I used a couple of hours trying to troubleshoot. 

Anyways, now it's working!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
rockymtnrajah
Frequent Visitor

I was able to isolate this issue to the line that extracts json. 

If Json.Document get 0 bytes, it throws the "DataFormat.Error: We reached the end of the buffer".

To test this:

let
     Source = Json.Document("") //will throw DataFormat.Error: We reached the end of the buffer
in
     Source

this is exactly what happened to me when I tried to import multiple json files where one of these was empty. Its maby to quick but I solved it by adding an extra step by removing errors before expanding the json as a table

SofBL_0-1706536834511.png

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Which version of Desktop did you use? The 32-bit or 64-bit? I think this issue could be temporary. Maybe we can use the 64-bit Desktop to overcome this issue. Some references are as follows. 

1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10-mso_2016/power-query-getting-dataformaterror-message-when/fe1fce88-2247-4522-a7d3-d387635a8882

2. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/DataFormat-Error-We-reached-the-end-of-the-buffer/td-p/296097

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

So, apparently just waiting and trying again the day after solved the problem. A bit frustrating since I used a couple of hours trying to troubleshoot. 

Anyways, now it's working!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not 100% sure but it seems in my case R script parsing empty (not null) text cells into a new column produced this error as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.