cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
andrmi Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

DataFormat.Error: We reached the end of the buffer.

Hi,

So I am puzzled by this problem, and I am now at my wits' end.

I have a PBI Desktop report with tables from an on-prem SQL Server and an Azure SQL database using import. I tried to add two more tables from the same Azure database. Both tables have a column with a JSON object in it. The root table is the same in Azure SQL, but I get two different selections of it in Power BI. I go through these steps with each table:

Capture.JPG

Everything works fine in query editor, but as soon as I try to apply the changes, I get an error on one of the tables. The error reads: DataFormat.Error: We reached the end of the buffer. 

What I have tried:

- Loading only one of the new tables at a time. Only one of them fails. 

- I have the newest version of Power BI Desktop.

- Restarting PBI Desktop and the server I remoting to. 

- Checking resource usage on the Azure SQL DB. The queries are not consuming a lot of resources. 

Any suggestions are welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
andrmi Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: DataFormat.Error: We reached the end of the buffer.

Hi,

So, apparently just waiting and trying again the day after solved the problem. A bit frustrating since I used a couple of hours trying to troubleshoot. 

Anyways, now it's working!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @andrmi,

Which version of Desktop did you use? The 32-bit or 64-bit? I think this issue could be temporary. Maybe we can use the 64-bit Desktop to overcome this issue. Some references are as follows. 

1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10-mso_2016/power-query-get...

2. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/DataFormat-Error-We-reached-the-end-of-the-buffer/td-p/2960...

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
andrmi Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi,

So, apparently just waiting and trying again the day after solved the problem. A bit frustrating since I used a couple of hours trying to troubleshoot. 

Anyways, now it's working!