Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LexBolkesteijn

DataFormat.Error: We found extra characters at the end of JSON input.

Hello all,

Been working around for a few days with PowerBI now and got a lot of stuff working allready.  Have used variouse Visualzations and connecting to large volume SQL Server, Azure SQL databases works like a charm.

But when I import a large JSON file with data I got a error. The file is a 49Mb  JSON file with 63774 records and when I loaded it I got this error : 

DataFormat.Error: We found extra characters at the end of JSON input.
Details:
Value=
Position=1681799

So I took a small snip of the file to setup the datasource in the query editor. And after a few tests and making the dasboard it was time to work with the real file.  I found out that the when I'm below this value it does work (output.json size 1.681.786  ).

So my questions are :

1. is there a size limit to a JSON file ? 
2. is it a know issue / bug (I have look on variouse places but can't find any refference to this).

5 REPLIES 5
Jmenas
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi all, 
I had the same issue but I was making the called with the function and from a different query. The issue is to parse the call  before it gets the JSON, The other way is to have the JSON open as text and parse it using a technique mention in a post from ExcelGuru: https://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/11/19/keep-only-numbers-in-power-query/ 

They remove nothing but numbers I change to nothing but Special characters, you can add more if you want to here is my code for the list that you load before doing any changes. 

CharsToRemove = List.Transform({33..45,47}, each Character.FromNumber(_))

Then, you can add a custom column: 

"Column name"
Text.Remove([Call elementclean],CharsToRemove)

This case not sure if it works from Azure SQL like this but you should try it in SQL. 

Hope this help someone. 

Best,
J

mtzvictor
Frequent Visitor

I'm also looking for and answer to this. 

LexBolkesteijn

Tested it today also for Azure blob storage. Same problem.

Four months later and nobody has responded to this. We're running into the exact same issue when using Azure Blob Storage as a datasource (even CSV). 

DataMashup.Trace Warning: 24579 : {"Start":"2017-08-14T19:17:20.5789351Z","Action":"SimpleDocumentEvaluator/GetResult","HostProcessId":"17348","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.ValueException, Microsoft.MashupEngine, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35\r\nMessage: [DataFormat.Error] We found extra characters at the end of JSON input.\r\nStackTrace:\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Json.JsonParser.Parse(JsonTokenizer tokenizer)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Json.JsonModule.Json.DocumentFunctionValue.TypedInvoke(Value jsonText, Value encoding)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.NativeFunctionValue2`3.Invoke(Value arg0, Value arg1)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugExpression.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.FunctionInvocationExpression2.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugExpression.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.ExpressionInvocationExpression2.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugExpression.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue1.Invoke(Value arg0)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.Force(Int32 index)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue1.Invoke(Value arg0)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.Force(Int32 index)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.Library.Linker.BindFunctionValue.TypedInvoke(RecordValue environment, Value section, TextValue name)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.NativeFunctionValue3`4.Invoke(Value arg0, Value arg1, Value arg2)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue0.Invoke()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.ListExpression.RuntimeListValue.Force(Int32 index)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.ListExpression.RuntimeListValue.get_Item(Int32 index)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue1.Invoke(Value arg0)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.Force(Int32 index)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.FunctionInvocationExpression2.Execute(Value frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Expression.ExecuteCondition(Value frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugExpression.ExecuteCondition(Value frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.IfExpression.Execute(Value frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugExpression.Execute(Value frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.Force(Int32 index)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue0.Invoke()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SimpleDocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.49.4831.521 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"e683962d-0763-4d48-978f-e63be7e527c8","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":12636,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0200926"}
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone!

I modified the JIRA content pack and I'm having the same error when I upload to online.
Is there any news about this error?

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.