Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alkhos
Advocate I
Advocate I

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a DateTime value.

Hello,

I am working with a dataset retrieved as a CSV file through web.

I have a time field on the dataset with values similar to below:

10/31/2016 4:05:00 PM

When data is fed to PBI desktop, it is automatically detected as "text".

When I attempt to change its type to Date/Time, I get the following error:

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a DateTime value.
       Details:
       10/31/2016 6:25:00 PM

I have checked the source, all values are similarly formatted ( no add values in the time field )

I have also used PromoteHeaders to prmote the first row ( which contains header to the header field ) before trying to change the type.

The exact step that fails uses this DAX code:

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"time", type datetime}}),

Is there anything that I am doing wrong? or do I need any further pre-processing on this time field to be able to properly parse it?

Thanks

Ali

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After playing with your text file for 15 mins, I have found that there are some extra space at the front of your date column. Can you please remove those extra characters. 

Steps to follow afterwards:

1. Split the column by 11 characters. This will separate Date and Time

2. Split the Date column by "/" Delimiter

3. Change the data type of the newly created columns to Whole number

4. Bring the Day column first by dragging, Month column second and Year column last

5. Select all these three collumns and go to Add column Tab, Select Merge Columns and in Merge dialog, Select "/"Separator.

6. Change the data type of the merged column to Date.

So many steps .....

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Thanks @BhaveshPatel, which delimiter did you mean to use for splitting and which for joining?

Thanks @Greg_Deckler,

Thanks for clarification regarding M and DAX 🙂

Below is a sample of the data ( with some ananymization and keeping only two rows:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AgdruS6e6l9tl3ojoTP5-737sLTI

I seem to have the same issue with importing this file as CSV as well ( similar to using the web source )

After playing with your text file for 15 mins, I have found that there are some extra space at the front of your date column. Can you please remove those extra characters. 

Steps to follow afterwards:

1. Split the column by 11 characters. This will separate Date and Time

2. Split the Date column by "/" Delimiter

3. Change the data type of the newly created columns to Whole number

4. Bring the Day column first by dragging, Month column second and Year column last

5. Select all these three collumns and go to Add column Tab, Select Merge Columns and in Merge dialog, Select "/"Separator.

6. Change the data type of the merged column to Date.

So many steps .....

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Thank you for your previous explanation. I'm encountering a similar issue with my Power BI project that's connected to SharePoint. I rely on SharePoint to feed data into my dashboard.

I've successfully created my dashboard, but when attempting to upload an Excel file with the same template used previously in SharePoint and then refreshing my Power BI dashboard through Transform Data > Refresh, I encountered the following error: "DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value."

I double checked that the date data type in the new file matches the one in the file I initially uploaded when creating the project. Should I replicate the steps I took in Power BI previously to integrate the new Excel files into my existing project?

Thanks in advance,

Rawan

Go to the Query Editor (right-click on the table in 'Fields' on the right-side, and select 'Edit Query').

Find the column with the date

Right click on column header and change type to Text

'Apply and Close' the query editor (left side top you should see this)

Now on the left side you should click on 'Data' and then in the 'Fields' on the right side click on the relevant table 

Now go to the column which must be the date

Select the column by pressing on column header

in the 'Column Tools', change 'Data Type' to Date

Change 'Format' to your preferred date format

PowerBI is a *****

Hello, @BhaveshPatel is there any other and proper solution that exists for that because each time this occurs when I import a data column it produces errors when the date day exceeds than 12.

I did the split like you suggested by 11 characters, and that was all I needed - it automatically picked up the new column as a date

My date delimiter was a hyphen, not a forward slash

Thanks for the help!

I'm getting same error.

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value.
Details:
1/13/1997

I tried your solution as well others but still I'm getting same error again and again.

Please can you help to figure out on my error.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xpgI6JB7mzgqLi5eTULSmP5zQOIZF116/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

Thanks a lot. I could resolve the issue. The solution worked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issie but half of the colum was error other half is ok . 

This is what I have done 

1. Split the colum by Delimiter Custom" / "Each Occurrence of dilimeters 

2. Carefully look at the colums and found that error is caused due to date is recoded without leading zero eg ; 8th is recorede as 8 but it needed to be 08 

3. Then I Inserted leading zero - chage the data type to text  then Incert Custom Colum Text.PadStart([Date]),2,”0″)

There we go you will see the leading zero 

4. Then go to merge all sorted . 

Thanks 

Hi,

Could you please help me in fixing the error.

let
DayPassedInYear = (x) =>
let
MonthList=List.Numbers(1,Date.Month(DateTime.FromText(x))-1),
Year=Date.Year(DateTime.FromText(x)),
DaysInMonthList=List.Transform(MonthList,each Date.DaysInMonth(DateTime.FromText(Text.From(Year)&"-"&Text.From(_)&"01")))
in
Date.Day(DateTime.FromText(x))+List.Sum(DaysInMonthList)
in
DayPassedInYear("7/10/2014")

Date expression error.png

Thanks

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Splitting the column and rejoining them using "&" operator would solve the problem. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.