Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value. Details: 13/3/2019

I got 3 whole number columns which I am mergin to create data column. But I am getting this wierd error. It cant covert some values to date type format. For example, 12 3 2019 was successfully converted to 03/12/2019 but 13 3 2019 gave parsing error. 

I appreciate any troubleshooting inputs.

PowerBI.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You are importing dates which are in a different format than your local settings e.g 13/4 or 4/13

Delete the step in Applied Steps.

Right click the column

Change Type -> Using Locale

...and pick the format of the country the dates come from

View solution in original post

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Appear to me that you data is appering as Decemberandnot March dates that why when you are converting 13 3 2019 it givesan error since month 13doesnot exist.

One option is doing column by example.

Regards
Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

It looks like Power Query is using mm/dd/yyyy to convert the dates. So it is treating 12/3 as Dec 3, not Mar 12. Therefore you get this error as there is no 13th month.

How are you merging these together are you trying to build a string, then convert it to date? 

If you want to use a string it's usually best to use the yyyy-mm-dd format as it is unambiguous or you could pass a specific culture parameter to Date.FromText to specify how the date format should be interpreted.

Or you could use the #date function which you can call using #date( <yyyy>, <m> ,<d>) , so in your case you could just pass in your 3 numeric columns directly 

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Appear to me that you data is appering as Decemberandnot March dates that why when you are converting 13 3 2019 it givesan error since month 13doesnot exist.

One option is doing column by example.

Regards
Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You are importing dates which are in a different format than your local settings e.g 13/4 or 4/13

Delete the step in Applied Steps.

Right click the column

Change Type -> Using Locale

...and pick the format of the country the dates come from

almost 3 years and this solution is still helping people. Thanks @HotChilli 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.