cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value. Details: 13/3/2019

I got 3 whole number columns which I am mergin to create data column. But I am getting this wierd error. It cant covert some values to date type format. For example, 12 3 2019 was successfully converted to 03/12/2019 but 13 3 2019 gave parsing error. 

I appreciate any troubleshooting inputs.

PowerBI.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User II
Super User II

You are importing dates which are in a different format than your local settings e.g 13/4 or 4/13

Delete the step in Applied Steps.

Right click the column

Change Type -> Using Locale

...and pick the format of the country the dates come from

View solution in original post

Super User III
Super User III

Hi @abhiab54,

Appear to me that you data is appering as Decemberandnot March dates that why when you are converting 13 3 2019 it givesan error since month 13doesnot exist.

One option is doing column by example.

Regards
Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog:

Power BI em Português

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II
Super User II

It looks like Power Query is using mm/dd/yyyy to convert the dates. So it is treating 12/3 as Dec 3, not Mar 12. Therefore you get this error as there is no 13th month.

How are you merging these together are you trying to build a string, then convert it to date? 

If you want to use a string it's usually best to use the yyyy-mm-dd format as it is unambiguous or you could pass a specific culture parameter to Date.FromText to specify how the date format should be interpreted.

Or you could use the #date function which you can call using #date( <yyyy>, <m> ,<d>) , so in your case you could just pass in your 3 numeric columns directly 

Super User III
Super User III

Hi @abhiab54,

Appear to me that you data is appering as Decemberandnot March dates that why when you are converting 13 3 2019 it givesan error since month 13doesnot exist.

One option is doing column by example.

Regards
Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog:

Power BI em Português

Super User II
Super User II

You are importing dates which are in a different format than your local settings e.g 13/4 or 4/13

Delete the step in Applied Steps.

Right click the column

Change Type -> Using Locale

...and pick the format of the country the dates come from

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

secondImage

Power BI Women

Join our monthly meetings and learning sessions.

secondImage

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power BI Super Users!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors