Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fcerullo
Advocate I
Advocate I

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Number but I am using Text columns

I get this error in both PowerBI Desktop Query Editior, and in Excel Power Query, when I am merging two queries.

Each query only has a few columns and they are all formatted as Text. I have columns like "Part_No" and "Commodity", and there are no numeric columns at all in either query. (There are quantities and costs in the inital load of the data but I delete those colunms in earlier steps prior to the Merge step that I am talking about here). 

When I try to Expand the result, I get the error "DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Number" and a specific part number. I have tried filtering that part number out of both queries but I still get the error.

I cannot figure out why it is trying to convert to Number when everything in both queries is formatted as Text.

Any solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@fcerullo 

Sometimes PowerQuery will try to help by adding a step of "Change Type" where it looks at the first 1000 rows and tries to determine if it is a number or text etc.  Did it add a step like that when you loaded your data from the source?  If so, you can just delete that step to stop it from trying to convert.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@fcerullo 

Sometimes PowerQuery will try to help by adding a step of "Change Type" where it looks at the first 1000 rows and tries to determine if it is a number or text etc.  Did it add a step like that when you loaded your data from the source?  If so, you can just delete that step to stop it from trying to convert.

Thanks a lot!

This helped me aswell...thanks

I added a step to make the format Text on all columns of these 2 queries.

oh, I see what your saying JD, I will take that auto-created step out and then do my own transformation.

This worked!

The PQ was directing me to an error at a the Expand table step, but, it was actually caused earlier in my transformation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors