Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

KCinMelbourne
Resolver I
Resolver I

DataFormat.Error: [File contains corrupted data]

Hi all,

I currently have a file structure that operates as follows:

1. Source Data in Excel
  2. Data is consolidated via PowerQuery into a second Excel File
  3. Consolidated tables are pulled into PowerBI via a link in SharePoint

The step from Excel (1) to Excel (2) is required because we have excel templates which also feed off Excel (2), not just PowerBI.  

I've noticed that recently the queries in Excel (2) have struggled to refresh when I refresh the whole file and I am frequently getting this error (or a simple version of the same error which is simply DataFormat.Error: [File contains corrupted data]).

Capture - Data Format Error.PNG

Then, for the first time today, I've received the same 'short form' of the error when refreshing the final link into PowerBI.  I've noticed that for the refresh of Excel (2):

• A series of errors tend to occur such as the above when the entire file is refreshed
  • The same error might occur 1/10 times if I refresh each query one by one, but mostly they are fine on an individual refresh
  • Because the individual refresh works, it's near impossible for me to troubleshoot the issue with methods I know

Due to the number of tables that feed the data, I was seeking some trouble shooting suggestions I could try myself. Worst case senario, I will create dummy data so I can share the file. 

Thanks in advance

KC

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @KCinMelbourne,

Could you please provide a dummy sample? I'm afraid it's hard to find something from the error message even on Google. 

Though you have an Excel template, I would suggest you use Power BI to connect the source files directly. I think Power BI Desktop is more powerful in data shaping and transformation, something like ETL. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I've just spent quite some time trying to provide a copy of the file but there are quite a number of cross references. It's easier said than done to remove all the confidential data.  I had also tried Googling before posting to the forum without success.  

Is there a direct Microsoft support option available for troubleshooting errors given I can't find any documentation on this error?

Thanks

Kirsty

Hi.

Q1: did you solve the issue?

Q2 did you used document sensitivity in the excel data files (e.g. internal, confidential etc.) ? 

Thanks a lot

R.

Hi @robertoz,

It actually took about 2 months to find the issue but it was something to do with a standard add-in I was using in Excel. Once that was activated and reactivated, the issue went away.  I also found that it was also associated with the file size. So even with the add-in issue, the data would only error if the Excel file was over a certain size. I split my data into 2 files and the issue went away.  Naturally - those files grew and the issue came back hence identifying the add in error.  If you need to know the specific add-in, I can check if I have the information in an email somewhere.

My excel files didn't have any document sensitivity applied.

Cheers

KCinMelbourne

Many thanks for your feedback.

about Add-ins I read already and checked before - did not help.

It looks like PowerBi (PowerQuery) as well has an issue to read the data from files with restricted access/encryption through in-build-in sensitivity (clasification of files to Public, Internal, Confidential etc. )

The issue is present also in case, when my user aacount has the access right (even for edit)

😞

R.

Hi all,

I have got a similar issue, but in my case it was a connection issue of the sharepoint, where the excel file was stored. After the connection was restored, the error message disappeared.

Could help someone.

Br,

m.

Hi Kirsty,

Maybe you can create a support ticket here following the guide below.

create ATicket

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.