Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data visualisation of "time active" that works like a Gantt chart

Hi all, I'm very new to Power BI and data visualisation and slowly teaching myself how to use the software. Sorry if my question is very silly or difficult to understand.

I have a dataset with thousands of codes for products, with each having a "start date" and an "end date" (DD:MM:YYYY, usually a number of years but different for every product) regarding a registration for the product being active. I would like to create a visualisation which shows the period of time each product was registered for, giving a sense of registration longevity fluctuations over time and roughly how many products were active in any given year.

The closest thing I have found to this is a Gantt chart, which is too granular and doesn't show all the durations on the page at the same time - I don't need to know specifically which code was active for how long, I just want to have a visual sense of how many products were registered at any given time. I haven't been able to find anything else which visualises a duration between start and end time. 

I would really love some suggestions for how to show this, keeping in mind that I'm a beginner (definitely not a coder) and sometimes find it hard to understand formulae! If adding one or two columns of variables that I can calculate from existing variables would help, or creating a simple measure etc, that should be doable. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

I think you have too many product codes to display, I'd like to suggest setting a group to reduce the product amount then they can display in one visual.

For date range analysis related requirements, normally you can create a complete date range calendar and write a measure formula to lookup value based on the current category and calendar date. (create a line chart with calendar date to axis, product to legends, measure to value)

You can check below blog 'start date', 'end date' part to know more about the operations:

Before You Post, Read This 

Regards.

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , To check the active duration between start and end date you can refer

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend/ba-p/882970

You can use Gantt chart or maybe matrix with conditional formatting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.