Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sonne
Helper II
Helper II

Data view

Hello,

I have a problem with the view of connected data from 2 tables . 

I have 2 excel files which I import : 

table 1 has the following structure : 

excel file 1  
unique id organisation planed money
11111org 110

Table 2 has the follwing structure: 

unique id organisation person idspent money 
11111org  1 12348
11111org  1 12356

In Power BI i want to see the planed and the spent money . I connect on unique id, but i always get the planned values in all columns:

I get something like this:

output in Power BI table     
uniqu id organisation person idplaned money spent money
11111org  1 1234108
11111org  1 1235106

I have no idea how to realize this in PBI.  Is this possible to have it in 1 table ? Maybe like this: 

uniqu id organisation person idplaned money spent money
11111org  1  10 
11111org  1 1234 8
11111org  1 1235 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sonne ,

In the power query, the merge logic of append is based on matching the names of the fields. Column names that do not exist in the original table will form a new column and will be null at the corresponding values.

vhenrykmstf_0-1643859404367.png

If you don't want to display these null values, you can refer to the following operation.

vhenrykmstf_1-1643859430510.png

If the problem is still not resolved, could you further describe your requirements and provide screenshots of your expectations accordingly. I will be able to answer your questions as soon as possible. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Sonne
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks i got it working now. Problem was the different spelling of the column names.

Hi @Sonne ,

Thanks for your feedback.😊

Best regards,

Henry

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sonne ,

In the power query, the merge logic of append is based on matching the names of the fields. Column names that do not exist in the original table will form a new column and will be null at the corresponding values.

vhenrykmstf_0-1643859404367.png

If you don't want to display these null values, you can refer to the following operation.

vhenrykmstf_1-1643859430510.png

If the problem is still not resolved, could you further describe your requirements and provide screenshots of your expectations accordingly. I will be able to answer your questions as soon as possible. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sonne
Helper II
Helper II

if I append, then the column "spent money" is added, with the value null, but the rows from the second table are included.

result is 

unique id organisation planed moneyspent money
11111org 110null

Can it be , because the ids are the same? in the example you mentioned, the ids are different in table 1 and table 2

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Sonne , Append the two tables in power query, that is one of the way .

Second way it create common dimensions for both tables and then display planed money, spent money measures using those common tables

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.