Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data type selection after addition/subtraction step doesn't seem to work in Query Editor

Hi everyone, 

I'm trying to create a mapping table in the Query Editor where I map values against their closest match. In order to do that, I create a new column in the query editor where I add 1 to the numerical value in another column. My problem is that after I do this addition step and try to change the data type of the new column from integer to "text", the data doesn't look like it actually changes type as it is still cursive as opposed to non-cursive, which is how text type data usually looks.

The problem with this is that when I then use the "new" column to merge queries with a column in a different table, it doesn't seem to work as it should - I only get null values after the merge queries step. 

Please see the below screenshot for example, the leftmost column and the rightmost column have the same data type (text) but for some reason the data doesn't look the same; in the leftmost column the data is non cursive and in the rightmost colum it is cursive.  This makes me think that for some reason the type transformation I have done doesn't work as it should. 

The rightmost column has been added in the query editor by adding 1 to the leftmost column, and I'm wondering if this addition is what makes it impossible to correctly convert to text afterwards. 

Does anyone know if I am correct in this assumption? Is there any workaround? Thanks in advance! 

image.png

1 REPLY 1
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Refer to the document links provided below and similar solutions to see if they can help you.

Data types in Power Query | Microsoft Docs

Solved: Power query editor has changed type errors with ne... - Microsoft Power BI Community

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.