Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ncarrier08
Frequent Visitor

Data type Automatically sets to "Any" when importing from a SharePoint Online list

Hi All

Hopfully a quick query. For the first time I am pulling SharePoint online and I am noticing that every colunm is being set with the data type "Any". I find this odd as SharePoint Online is aware of the many datatypes I am using. e.g. Start Date - The SharePoint Online list knows this is set to "Date" but PowerBI is pulling it in as "Any".

Is there a way for BI to read the SharePoint column configuration and pull them in automatically or do I face the depressing task of manually changing hundreds of data types?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Does this solution https://www.thebiccountant.com/2020/05/01/detect-change-types-of-all-columns-in-power-query... @ImkeF help?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ncarrier08 ,

You can try to set "Type Detection" in "Options".

detect.JPG

Reference: AUTOMATICALLY DETECT DATA TYPES IN POWER BI

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Does this solution https://www.thebiccountant.com/2020/05/01/detect-change-types-of-all-columns-in-power-query... @ImkeF help?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

This works well but I am surprised it is not automatic given its two MS products talking to each other. Is this detect type the only way or could it be automated on import somehow?

Thanks in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.