Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zugabe
Frequent Visitor

Data structure and performace

Hi,

I'm working on a report, which uses kpis from up to 10 different data sources. There are some data preparation steps I do in R. 

Most of the kpis share the dimensions, so my question is, whether its better to build 2-3 tables which contain all the kpis with shared dimensions or if each source should be represented by a table in power bi.

The highest priority for me is performance. Is there a huge difference between the two approaches? For the first approach i would use relations between the tables to be able to use slicers for the common dimensions. 

tldr: is there a big perfomance difference between few but wide tables and many but more narrow tables with relationships?

thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I tend to go with simpler is better. Tabular tends to like denormalizing the data into one big fact table.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.