Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wshalex123
Helper III
Helper III

Data sources: Live & SQL connection

Hi everyone,

i got a PowerBI Desktop report which is getting it's data from a SQL Server and one Excel file

My goal: Show the latest messages posted in a curtain teams channel in this PowerBI Desktop report

• I created a Streamingdataset (push) in POwerBI Service, where Power Automate sends the data to. (working)
  • I can see these latest messages from teams in the Steaming Dataset in PowerBI Service

... now i want to connect the Streaming Dataset to my PowerBI Desktop report

wshalex123_0-1662552698994.png

When practising this it shows following error (translated):

"The live mode connection option is disabled for this file because it already contains data from another data source. You cannot browse data live in the same file and connect to other types of data sources. Create a new file to browse data live."

... it seems a live connection is not working with other data sources.

Still, iam convinced that this has to work somehow. 

Does anyone know a different solution to get this working? I haven't found any other solution in the web.

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey  , 

probably it would work with this setting. We haven't purchased yet and so this setting is not available for me and i cant test it.

However, i found a very easy workaround for my concern which might be useful for future visitors: 

1. Create a Flow via Power Automate

When a Teams message in a channel is posted -> create a new item in a sharepoint list

2. In PBI Desktop: 

"Get Data" from this sharepoint list

@Watsky

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hmm that's odd. What version of Power BI are you using? Is it that it just hangs like this or does it crash?

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

Here, iam using Version 2.108.997.0

wshalex123_0-1662741041340.png

It tries to start and crashes after a few seconds...

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Power BI. I'm thinking something got corrupted as it should load fine without the infrastructure update loaded.

Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hiya @wshalex123 

The error you are receiving is correct. Leaving the live connection in the same format will limit your ability to add other datasets. 

Since this connection is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled. You can only connect to one dataset in each report. 

See - Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

As a possible workaround, you could change to a local model and connect via Direct Query. This feature would need to be enabled on the Power BI Service by a Power BI Admin.

Watsky_0-1662560388469.png

See - Using DirectQuery for datasets and Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hello @Watsky 

thank you for your help! I digged into this matter. Now, i dont know how to come forward.

Current situation:

["Old" published report] -> (import - connection)

• Sources:
    • SQL Server
    • Excel sheet

["New" live Connection]

•  Connected to
    • ["Old" published report]

Problem:

... in the section "Using DirectQuery for live connections" of the link you sent me it says i need to change the model of ["New" live connection], in order to "add a local model" afterwards.

Then, i should be able to connect to my Streaming Dataset, or am i wrong?

wshalex123_1-1662640147855.png

... however, changing the model is not possible in my live connection. I found a post in the community which has the same problem. When reading it, i still don't know why it's not working for me. Link:

Can't Make Changes to Model After Connecting to Da... - Microsoft Power BI Community

May you help me out one more time?

Thank you very much!

P.S.: i already checked this checkbox in my live connection

wshalex123_3-1662640510410.png

Are you admin on your Power BI tenant? If so check and make sure that it is enabled on there. If it is enabled try turning off the Power BI Desktop-InfrastructureUpdate this has been known to cause issues in Power BI Desktop. For what it's worth, this is what I have turned on in Preview Features. 

Watsky_1-1662657917389.png

You should see a message like this at the bottom of your Power BI Desktop window. 

Watsky_2-1662657934257.png

Let me know what happens...

Hey @Watsky 

PowerBI is running again, with your preview selection 🙂 

wshalex123_0-1662743336542.png

so far so good  ✔️

... i still can't make changes to this model.

wshalex123_1-1662743503421.png

---------------------

what do you mean with your sentence: "Are you admin on your Power BI tenant? If so check and make sure that it is enabled on there"? 

With the "tenant" you mean PowerBI in my organisation? Yes iam Admin there. What sould i enable where? 😄 

Thanks for your support!!

Watsky_0-1662744075750.png

wshalex123_0-1662745042424.png

maybe iam blind but i can't find the admin portal in my PowerBI Service settings. Maybe thats because iam a admin in powerBI but not an admin of the whole organisation of the company?  

I can't say I know German all that well but isn't Verwaltungsportal the Admin Portal?

I thought that too, but for me it's nearly empty.

wshalex123_0-1662747233935.png

Ah so that means you are set as Admin but not set as Capacity Admin... 😞 Keep me in the loop on Monday. My hope is that the feature is just not turned on.

Good morning @Watsky !

Good news, iam now admin and can see the settings.

Bad news, the setting is enabled and the issue is still the same..

wshalex123_0-1662964765563.png

Good Morning @wshalex123,

Sine you're Admin now can you check if this setting is enabled? 

Watsky_0-1662991758337.png

also check that XMLA is enabled for at least read (not set to Off). You will find this under the capacity settings under Workloads.

Watsky_1-1662991810145.png

Hey @Watsky 

sorry for the late response, i was out of office the whole week. So to get along with this topic...

The first setting you sent me is enabled in my organisation:

wshalex123_0-1663570505603.png

For the second setting i need PowerBI Pro (Even tho i have the test version of powerbi pro currently running it seems i still have to buy it).

wshalex123_1-1663571148617.png

... is this setting this important to get the report running? Would be a shame when i buy pro and it's still not working afterwards haha.

Cheers,

Alex

Hey @wshalex123,

According to Microsoft, it is needed.

Watsky_1-1663705453755.png

See Verwenden von DirectQuery für Datasets und Analysis Services (Vorschau) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hey  , 

probably it would work with this setting. We haven't purchased yet and so this setting is not available for me and i cant test it.

However, i found a very easy workaround for my concern which might be useful for future visitors: 

1. Create a Flow via Power Automate

When a Teams message in a channel is posted -> create a new item in a sharepoint list

2. In PBI Desktop: 

"Get Data" from this sharepoint list

@Watsky

iam checking this with the orgnisations admin. Thank you very much for know!

I'll try again on monday.

Hey @Watsky 

iam now on my private PC, away from office. 

I opened my live connection file and it showed me my connected dataset like in the office (was not sure if this is possible when iam not in the gateway).

I unselected this checkbox and now iam completly unable to open PowerBI.

Now, after a restart of PowerBI (And the PC), i cant open PowerBI anymore. The loading screen is showing for 2-3sec, then it's closing again...

wshalex123_0-1662739268018.png

What happened? 

P.S.: My settings still look like this, just the one checkbox "infrastructure update" is turned off.

wshalex123_1-1662739420358.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.