Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

neha369
Helper I
Helper I

Data source setting

Here i am encountering a situation .. 

I have built a power BI report from my sql database import  . Lets say databace is ABC and table name is hrms

Power BI is naming the table as ABC.hrms. 

I want to now change to data source from my sql database. Databace XYZ and table name hrms.

When changing the data source it is giving error as "The key did not match". 

I assume the new data source is fetching table XYZ.hrms and it is not matching with ABC.hrms. Any thoughts ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@neha369 

If both hrms tables in database ABC and XYZ have the same named columns "hrms". You need to rename the Power Bi table "ABC.hrms. " back to "hrms". It should match with the table name in XYZ database as you change the datasource.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@neha369 

If both hrms tables in database ABC and XYZ have the same named columns "hrms". You need to rename the Power Bi table "ABC.hrms. " back to "hrms". It should match with the table name in XYZ database as you change the datasource.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the solution guys . but here i have found the solution. Please check the below link to get the answer. 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/40300078-data-source-change-setti...

VijayP
Super User
Super User

you need to check the Primary and Foreing key attributes and they are similar.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Both the tables are replica of each other so i don't think the primary/foreign ke is making any difference here .

nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@neha369 

You can go to Edit Query and verify the step one by one. 

Usually, this error message (The key did not match) has occurred when specified table name or column name has not existed in the specified source.

If you are confused with what I'm telling, please share the snapshot of each step?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.