Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cpgbi
Regular Visitor

Data source **** is missing credentials...

When one of the three of us on PBI Pro uses desktop to publish a report we can’t access it, including the creator. But if the report is emailed to me I can publish it just fine. In app.powerbi I can go to the dataset and “take over” and then everything is fine. The creator sees a message saying it can’t be refreshed because the credentials are invalid when going into app.powerbi to see the dataset. It feel like blowing away her account and then recreating it and starting over. Any thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6
Teja8189

Sign in https://msit.powerbi.com/home sign in go to your account. In My account go to dataset tab (Left side of your screen to you the tabs) select your Dataset https://msit.powerbi.com/datahub/datasets (Select the dataset that your facing this error) from it -- Pick the data set from the list and sign in with your credentials and refresh it and check now it will work 100% and you can able to see the report yours as expected

Thank you!
Venkata Teja Bathala
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Cpgbi 

I came up with new thoughts about this question, you mentioned that "it can’t be refreshed because the credentials are invalid when going into app.powerbi to see the dataset", the error typically happens when the credentials of the dataset been changed. 

You can do a test on the desktop, connect to the data source and manually refresh it, if it failed, please clear the datasource setting and relogin. 

If it still doesn't work, please kindly share the error details when "she gets the data source error when publishing."

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Cpgbi 

What do you mean" But if the report is emailed to me I can publish it just fine", Not quite understand your scenario, could you please share more details with screenshots?

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Screenshots I cannot post unfortunately. What happens is one of the three of us with a PBI Pro login and has access to the particular workspace can download, edit, etc. she gets the data source error when publishing. But if she sends to me and I open and publish it works fine. I compared settings everywhere I could find and it seems everything is exactly the same. But there has to be a setting I’m unaware of that is stripping the credentials when she publishes. So this is different than the similar error people have seen regarding refreshes.

Hi @Cpgbi 

1. If publish from the Desktop is not working, try to connect to the data from the Power BI Site. 

Get Data -> Files (Get) -> Local Files -> find your PBIX file on local drive.

2.   Make sure she has the role of power bi service administrator. you can check it in 365 admin portal.

0003.PNG

quickly.

My datasource is connected to snowflake and does not reside in my local so this solution would not work. Is there any other workaround?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.