Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

grittoa

Data source error when importing data from Access

Hi, when I import table data from an Access database (17 columns, 184 rows), one of the columns shows all values as error. I am then presented with this error in the Query Editor:

DataSource.Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Conversion failed because the Decimal data value overflowed the type specified for the Decimal value part in the consumer's buffer.'

The data type associated with this particluar column in Access is Calculated with the values being decimal numbers. There are other columns containg whole numbers that appear as Calculated. Their values appear in the Query editor as 0 however there is no associated error displayed.

I can see the correct data when I inspect the table directly in Access and I can also see the correct data if I import the table into Excel. Not sure what is going on here and I cannot find much looking online.

Just to make sure I wasn't expecting too much, I downloaded a trial of Tableau Desktop and all data imports correctly. This suggests it is a Power BI issue.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @grittoa,

Based on my test, calculated fields in Access databased can be displayed correctly after being imported into Power BI.

To the error message, 'the Decimal data value overflowed the type specified for the Decimal value part in the consumer's buffer', it seems that the actual values didn't match the decimal data type supported by Power BI. As is stated in this article, the Decimal Number type can handle negative values from -1.79E +308 through -2.23E -308, 0, and positive values from 2.23E -308 through 1.79E + 308. The largest value that can be represented in a Decimal Number type is 15 digits long. So, please check the data values in Access database.

Besides, the error points out conversion failure, in query editors, under the applied steps, delete the "Changed Type" step to see whether issue persists.

For more analysis, please share your source data.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you to those who replied. I am no longer going to use Power BI for this initiative and have not progressed trobleshooting this issue. 

I am also having this same issue. Access is rounding my numbers so there are no more than 2 decimal points but I am getting the same

"DataSource.Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Conversion failed because the Decimal data value overflowed the type specified for the Decimal value part in the consumer's buffer."

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Quick question, how you are connecting to MS Access form PowerBI?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

From the Get Data button, select Access Database, then browse to the file. The file is located on local machine in the Desktop folder. All other values come across except calculated fields.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.