Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data source appears to have been modified error

Hi

When trying to import an SP from SQL Server, I get a message stating that 

"The data source appears to have been modified since it was last accessed. Refreshing may resolve this error."

The query I am trying to load is almost exactly the same as the one I loaded before it, only referencing a different table in SQL Server. The only other thing of note is that I have, for this particular table, to resolve an error about a collation conflict between SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS and Latin1_General_CI_AS, which I have to run the below for all 3 columns in the table concerned. 

Anyone have any ideas? I should add it's in Import mode, run as an advanced query which just calls the SP name and @ variable that goes with it. 

ALTER TABLE YourTableName
  ALTER COLUMN OffendingColumn
    VARCHAR(100) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the end, I copied the relevant parts of the SP I needed to keep, then created a new one from an existing SP template, swapping out the main code. I called it something slightly different, and this time it worked a treat. 

Maybe I created the SP already at some point either by accident, or not recalling, and this was why. Either way, renaming the SP and adding it again seems to clear this particular issue. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You might be faster off deleting the data source and recreating it.

One word of caution: DAX is not case sensitive.  It will ignore your collation settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly, I can't do this as that particular data source powers about 30 other queries in total. It works fine on all other queries from the source, too. Any other ideas?

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please review the solution in the following threads and check whether it can resolve your problem. 

New Error When Getting Data From SQL Database in Excel

Can't import Azure SQL View into Excel

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

These are things that I had seen before, also. I had also run Profiler but couldn't see the line the first link mentioned. However, I've just tried what was suggested now and no, it still doesn't work.

Re the second link, I can't even get to the preview window after entering the SP name (which is the same basic template I've used for all my other SPs) so this one is no good either.

Thanks anyway, but any other suggestions?

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you try to click "Refresh" button? If no, could you please refresh the report and check if it still got that error message?

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

As the post states, I do not get to the point of being able to import the query. I do not get to the preview window and there is therefore no "refresh" option to choose.
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the end, I copied the relevant parts of the SP I needed to keep, then created a new one from an existing SP template, swapping out the main code. I called it something slightly different, and this time it worked a treat. 

Maybe I created the SP already at some point either by accident, or not recalling, and this was why. Either way, renaming the SP and adding it again seems to clear this particular issue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.