Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sunshining
Frequent Visitor

Data source among different report will affect each other when do the credential change

Hi Everyone,

I developed several reports that used redshift.  Those reports are used same user and schema, and tables used are in same schema.

I found that when I change one datasource credential in Power BI service, all my reports' credential are changed.

Meanwhile my mate developed a new report used the same DB in redshift, but used the different schema, so user/pwd are different.

But our datasource name are all same. It's AmazonRedshift.

So if he changed credential for the AmazonRedshift, all my reports used AmazonRedshift are changed, and my scheduled refresh all failed.

Even I tried "Privacy Level" for "Private", they will also affect each other. And I don't find anywhere I can change the datasource name so that Power BI can think they are different datasource.

Can anyone help me on this?

微信截图_20191030083351.png

微信截图_20191030083508.pngdatasource.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sunshining 

When you change the credential for data source, please ensure the gateway can connect to the data source.

Assume you add redshift to gateway twice,

one uses username1/password1(used for reportA),

another uses username2/password2(used for report B),

After changing credential(username1/password1->username3/password3),

go to Manage gateway page, 

change the setting here((username1/password1->username3/password3), then apply.

Capture22.JPG

Besides steps above, you could update credential in Power BI Desktop file, then republish the report from Power BI Desktop to Service.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Maggie @v-juanli-msft ,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I am stuck here for many days.

Firstly I wonder if I need to enable the gateway setting, as all our data are coming from Redshift, and will load into Power BI service(cloud side) on daily basis, so we have no data coming from our local.

Secondly I saw your screenshot that you can create a new data source in Gateway cluster, which should be in server side.  Then the data source name can be named manually.

In Power BI Desktop, when I import a data source in a report, the data source will be created and name cannot be changed. And when I create a new report with the same data source but with different credential, it seems the data source in new report is same with that one in old report. So when I change one data source's credential to do data refreshing, the other data source's credential is also changed.

So that issue is also existing in Power BI Desktop in my local.

So I wonder if my developing process is correct or not. 

Hope I expressed my idea clear.

Thanks

Sunshining

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.