Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lvanam
Frequent Visitor

Data refreshing

When I upload a PBIX file and create a dashboard by pinning visualizations to it and when I share teh dashboard, how will I share the data set behind it? For example, I created report with excel file on my local and uploaded it, Now, if I create dashboard out of it and share it with my manager and if I make changes to my local excel, how will they be able to refresh for changes? Will the dataset be shared by default as well? We have licenses for Power Bi desktop. Thank you for your answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@lvanam It sounds like you are asking about the specific data refresh. You can schedule a refresh in app.powerbi.com by going to the dataset - > clicking on the "..." to the right of the data set name and scheduling a refresh. If you have a "Pro" license, you can schedule a refresh up to 8x per day. If you don't have "Pro" you can schedule 1x a day, provided your dataset is just a Excel tab (no pivot table/power query) - as this would require a gateway and thus a "Pro" license.

Depending on your scenerio, you can look here specifically, but you should be able to set up a refresh, so that when you update the file locally it will pull the information into the Dashboard and be visible to all end users.

Essentially, in this case, the dataset you see is the dataset the end user has access to see via the reports you built.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@lvanam It sounds like you are asking about the specific data refresh. You can schedule a refresh in app.powerbi.com by going to the dataset - > clicking on the "..." to the right of the data set name and scheduling a refresh. If you have a "Pro" license, you can schedule a refresh up to 8x per day. If you don't have "Pro" you can schedule 1x a day, provided your dataset is just a Excel tab (no pivot table/power query) - as this would require a gateway and thus a "Pro" license.

Depending on your scenerio, you can look here specifically, but you should be able to set up a refresh, so that when you update the file locally it will pull the information into the Dashboard and be visible to all end users.

Essentially, in this case, the dataset you see is the dataset the end user has access to see via the reports you built.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You will republish the PBIX file up to the PBI Service.

This will refresh the data on the dashboards.  In my trials of this I did discover a peculiarity with Win 10 Edge that it only refreshed once....and then stuck there despite republishing the the PBIX file.  But once I closed & reopened the PC it was displaying the refreshed data.  So presuming your users don't keep their Edge browser constantly opened on the dashboard there shouldn't be an update issue.  Not sure if this is Edge specific or could occur in other browsers..... didn't seem like a big deal so I didn't pursue it.

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.