Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data refresh questions

Hi all, 

I am trying to figure out how data refresh works in power bi. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Here is the situation... 

I have several source systems which I currently have to dump data out of since they aren't linked directly to power bi. I will work on making that connection live but for now that is what I am stuck with. Once I have these connected live is the refresh automatic? Righ now I have this data stored in several excel files in one drive so I just make my additions/changes in there and refresh. I understand this piece of it reasonably well but here is the piece I don't undestand... 

I created essentially a template which includes 10 pages of metrics which I want the 29 general managers of our different business units to look at. So what I want to do is put a report level filter on and then publish it to them. How does the sync between their published version and my template work? Lets say I add a data source or a column in a data source or a new visual/page. Does this update on their end? I hope that makes sense... 

Thanks, 

Mike

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that you have concern about the refresh in Power BI.

We could refresh data in Power BI Desktop and in Power BI Service which has a little difference.

We could perform a one-time, manual refresh right in Power BI Desktop by selecting Refresh on the Home ribbon. When you select Refresh here, the data in the file’s model is refreshed with updated data from the original data source. This kind of refresh, entirely from within the Power BI Desktop application itself, is different from manual or scheduled refresh in Power BI Service.

More details, you could refer to this document.

For your scenario, it seems that you connected with the excel file in OneDrive in Power BI Desktop and you create the a report with 10 pages in a pbit(template file).

I created essentially a template which includes 10 pages of metrics which I want the 29 general managers of our different business units to look at. So what I want to do is put a report level filter on and then publish it to them. How does the sync between their published version and my template work? Lets say I add a data source or a column in a data source or a new visual/page. Does this update on their end? I hope that makes sense... 

I have a little confused about where do you save the pbit and how do you share the pbit to your general managers?

If your pbit is uploaded to OneDrive, when you add a data source or a column in a data source or a new visual/page in the pbit, it will update in OneDrive, but that is not the refresh in Power BI. In Power BI, the refresh is only for data source not for page and visuals.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.