Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

InsureBI
Advocate II
Advocate II

Data refresh error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E1D.

I am trying to refresh a table (with less than 50 records and 200 columns).  The source is a text file on my desktop and I am pretty sure nothing has changed except a few additional records in the new file.

The error message says: OLE DB or ODBC error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E1D.  This happened in the old version of the Desktop as well as the new version (i.e, latest version that I downloaded and installed today).

Has anyone seen this before? Can I get some tips on troubleshooting this error?  Thank you.

48 REPLIES 48
InsureBI
Advocate II
Advocate II

I haven't been able to solve this problem, so I have decided to add some more details to see if that may be the cause of the error.

The table that I am trying to refresh (in PowerBI Desktop) has 5 new columns I have created, such as COUNTYSTATE = [COUNTY] & [STATE].  Are thes additional colums that I created the reason why the refresh is erroring out?  Do I need to delete them and re-create them after every refresh?

Note that if I import the new data file into another report in PowerBI desktop and look at the query, every thing in the script matches the query before refresh.

Hi InsureBI,

I create 5 new columns and then add new records in my text file, everything works well when I refresh data in Data View or Report View of Power BI Desktop. Would you mind sharing me your text file and PBIX file so that I can test them?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @InsureBI,

Do you refresh data in Data View or Report View of Power BI Desktop? I am not able to reproduce this error when imitating your scenario. Could you please share me your text file so that I can test it in my Power BI Desktop?

In addition, check that if the connection string is changed in Advanced Editor of Query Editor after refreshing data. Change text file path, re-add the connection string in Advanced Editor and refresh data and check if the error goes away.
text.png

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am also facing same issue. I just delete the connection and try to reconnect it again

Regards,

Kuldeep

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@InsureBI I have seen similar issue when updates to power query happens in excel. I would say report this to microsoft.

I could detect the error, it turns out that there was a relationship between two files that one of my collaborators made without knowing that it would affect, I eliminated the realtion between those two documents and it worked, the error disappeared.
I hope they serve

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is one of real cases for the error. Breaking the links to other exel files will solve the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.