Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stan_w_gifford
Frequent Visitor

Data reduction from Dynamics-365 - one way of doing it (Via power automate)

Note: YMMV!

This issue I had. 

I had to produce a weekly 'run sheet' for installers from data mainly in the Orders table in dynamics 365. There are 8 sets of fields each set looking like this;

Installer name

Product category

Scheduled install time.

My first pass involved pulling the data directly in from dynamics in PBI Desktop.

I created sub-tables from each set of fields (8 in total) and did a union all on the data.

This worked however it took a long while on refresh because I had to load the entire order table in - and I could not find a way of directly using the dynamics connector to reduce the data returned.

So.......

Second try.

I wrote a flow with a trigger of 'When a HTTP request is received' - make a note of the generated URL!

The flow retreived the orders using a filter like...

C1_bookedinstalldate ne null or C2bookedinstalldate ne null or C3sbookedinstalldate ne null or C4bookedinstalldate ne null or C5bookedinstalldate ne null or C6sbookedinstalldate ne null or C7installdate ne null orC8bookedinstalldate ne null

I created an array variable to hold my processed data for each category and each array entry looks like

{
"Week": @{outputs('Week_2')},
"Product": "Product Category",
"ServiceDate": "@{items('AllOrders')?['C1bookedinstalldate']}",
"Fitters": "@{items('AllOrders')?['C1sallfitters']}",
"Order_Case": "@{items('AllOrders')?['new_quoteid']}",
"Customer": "@{items('AllOrders')?['_customerid_value@OData.Community.Display.V1.FormattedValue']}",
"Address": "@{items('AllOrders')?['billto_composite']}",
"Duration": @{variables('serviceTime')}
}

Depending on the populated BookedInstallDate there could be up to 8 array entries per order (1 per category)

Once all the data was in the array, the flow finished with a Response and returned the array.

In PBI Desktop, I got data from the web using the URL created in the flow.

Now the refresh takes seconds instead of five minutes.

Caveats. When developing the flow, ensure that you have all the data fields in the array - if you find you have missed one and add it, PBI does not seem to pick it up - so when I did this, I had to export the flow, re-import it as a new flow, then in PBI get the data from the new web endpoint for the new flow.

Stan

4 REPLIES 4
stan_w_gifford
Frequent Visitor

I have just discovered.....

That my PBI Query on the web was timing out.

See the following for the way to fix the timeout

Solved: Query Timeout on update - Microsoft Power BI Community

HI @stan_w_gifford,

I suppose the timeout may be due to the data source records amounts. For this scenario, you can also consider assigning them to premium capacity which allows more processing times.

Power BI Premium new capacity settings allow for more control over datasets | Microsoft Power BI Blo...
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

All lI had to do was increase the timeout value in the query in PBI - per the referenced link.

HI @stan_w_gifford,

The timeout property can be configured on the data connector advanced setting, but on the power bi service side it has the limit on the maximum timeouts.

excel - How to set a max run time / timeout for Power Query? - Stack Overflow

Troubleshooting refresh scenarios - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
AFAIK, you can't increase the timeout limits except move them to premium capacity.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.