Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

moezsajwani
Frequent Visitor

Data not shown correctly on line graph

Hi All,

I have a table with two columns Date and Balance when I visualize it as a table it is shown correctly

Report Month  MI Balance
2017-01-31      XXX
2017-02-28      XXX
2017-03-31      XXX 
2017-04-30      XXX
2017-05-31      XXX
2017-06-30      XXX

When I convert the table in line chart it doesn't show Jan 2017 and the line just goes one axis extra. As such line at Feb shows the value of jan and line at Mar shows the value of Feb and so on. As such the last point of the line shows the value of June but doesn't have any axis beneath.

When I set the axis to hierarchy and just choose month the line chart seems to be fine. Any idea on how to fix this?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @moezsajwani,

If you want to show the date and value correctly, please display date itself not in hierarchy, set the x axis in Category type(Please see the screenshot below), if you set the continuous, it will show veryday from 2017/1/31 to 2017/6/30. 

4.PNG

Then the data will be shown correcly as follows.

5.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi,

Thank you for your quick repsonse. I appreciate your help and sorry for the delay in responding. I was wondering if I can show the date in graph as MMMM-YY format despite my date format in table is YYYY-MM-DD. Is it possible to present different format on x-axis without changing the original table.

Secondly, If I change the the x-axis type to categorical I cannot use the forecast line. How to deal with this issue?

Appreciate your help in advance.

Regards,

Moez

Hi @moezsajwani,

It is impossible to present different format on x-axis directly, you need to create a new calculated column in the format using the formula.

NewDate = FORMAT(Table[DATE],"MMMM-YY")

Then use the [NewDate] as the x-axis level.

Yes, I cannot use the forecast line if we change the the x-axis type to categorical. Becasue the forecast future based on the continuous date. You can create idea here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

haozhong
Resolver I
Resolver I

Please attach the screenshots of the graph and your table (include the whole Power BI window)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.