Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TaraB89
Helper II
Helper II

Data not seen as Numeric Value

Hello,

I previously made a message that I had a problem using columns as a value in a graph visual.

I now found out that that is not the main issue. The main issue is that some fields (on which the columns are based) are not seen as Numeric Value. But it is set as a Numeric Value! Power BI won't convert it to a Numeric Value for some reason.

TaraB89_0-1606835692601.png

TaraB89_0-1606835739597.png

I took the original PBIX file and skimmed it down to the most basic table I had in the file.

If I remake this exact table in a new Power BI, it suddenly works. But I want to find a solution so I can use my old file because there is months of work in there.

This became an issue after I downloaded the new version of Power BI.

Collegues that still have the old version of Power BI see the same thing as me. But I fear that, for some reason, opening the file in the new version did something to the file? I just can't find the reason why the data field won't be seen as a Numeric Value.

I have the (very) skimmed down versions (I can't add them in the message?):

- Q2 skimmed down - is de older version which for some reason works

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArPKml_btiQniXGzVpdHhNtyEuBl?e=pO0fm8

- Q4 skimmed down - is the new version which won't work....

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArPKml_btiQniXKHsFQlUbTZNY7p?e=qyLw6i

Really reall would appreciate some help.

Kind regards,

Tara

6 REPLIES 6
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TaraB89 ,

Sorry to disturb you...

But did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Hi @v-eqin-msft ,

It's kind of a Yes and No answer. Yes remaking the data in a new Power BI works, that's something I also tried. But the problem is, my original file is of course a lot more then just this table. For me to remake the whole report is going to take a lot of time.

I'm looking for a way to save/fix the original file which I just can't seem to do.

There is one other thing that may be the issue. The Q2 report works, Q3 and Q4 dont. I started using Tabular Editor at Q3 although in the end I switched some stuff around so the Editor wasn't used anymore. 

I uninstalled Tabular Editor and hoped that that might fix it, but it did not 😞 

But I don't know if that might be a reason why the file has become so corrupted after the update of November?

For now I'm still looking for a solution to try and fix the original file or if you know a good and fast way to rebuild a whole report I would love to hear that.

Kind regards,

Tara

Sorry I was away on holiday for a few days 🙂 I'll let you know as soon as possible!

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TaraB89 ,

It's a little weird , your Q4 small.pbix file does not work in my Power BI Desktop as well...

But after re-created the report with your original data  and did some transformation shown below, everything seemed OK. Please try again.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("RZDLjcRACERTsXxGiOZPLCPnn8ZAt3f2WAheFfX53EzLbrivcEFWBolrpGlhikDJloVsBrS2SCPkZNAjnRxrKZhd9wOb6HteidVEt72mVSghIPoSXRas4zbmQgpJr3lgVcHyHzE2UR2DFeQYq0dHLjB/ieq/ULEWmjFUHuIKpHSQf2Ke7IFZCXbeVEnUIvB8idVfC4/wFHRzsEmiFRjCQP5Hq56aF9rqFZ2VJlMJMLdIDE2oOXWZGtpx5uqEqy364nCYhiOEFtTdt5Cw/lkgRjimGux6J3llQe48Yl1195f383wB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Jaar = _t, #"BVO shops en Offices (Branche en Corporate Buildings)" = _t, #"VVO shops en Offices (Branche en Corporate Buildings)" = _t, #"BVO OPG" = _t, #"BVO Totaal " = _t, #"VVO Totaal" = _t]),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"BVO shops en Offices (Branche en Corporate Buildings)", Text.Trim, type text}, {"VVO shops en Offices (Branche en Corporate Buildings)", Text.Trim, type text}, {"BVO Totaal ", Text.Trim, type text}, {"BVO OPG", Text.Trim, type text}, {"VVO Totaal", Text.Trim, type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Trimmed Text",".","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"BVO shops en Offices (Branche en Corporate Buildings)", "VVO shops en Offices (Branche en Corporate Buildings)", "BVO OPG", "BVO Totaal ", "VVO Totaal"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value",",",".",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"BVO shops en Offices (Branche en Corporate Buildings)", "VVO shops en Offices (Branche en Corporate Buildings)", "BVO OPG", "BVO Totaal ", "VVO Totaal"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced Value1",{{"Jaar", Int64.Type}, {"BVO shops en Offices (Branche en Corporate Buildings)", type number}, {"VVO shops en Offices (Branche en Corporate Buildings)", type number}, {"BVO OPG", type number}, {"BVO Totaal ", type number}, {"VVO Totaal", type number}})
in
#"Changed Type"

12.3.3.1.png

Here is the pbix file.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @TaraB89 

Upload the files to OneDrive and linkto them from there. I can then take a look at your source data.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Links added in the post 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.