Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CF25
Regular Visitor

Data not filtering on related table

Capture.PNGCapture 2.PNGCapture.PNGHi All, 

Never posted a question on Power BI Community but I'm feeling really stuck. 

I have two fact tables and 2 dimension tables. 

My fact Tables: Marketing Costs & All Orders. 

When  I create visualiztions based on Channel (the field the tables are related by) the data breaks it down properly. BUT when I create a visualization based on Month I get the total of all months of marketing costs for every month. The only way it shows me a proper breakdown is by channel. 

Can someone please direct me on what I'm doing wrong!! 

I have tried many changes, having already reconstructed my data model into something more similar to a star schema... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Pragati11 I found a solution. I restructured my data and now everything is pulling correctly. See attached image.

I really appreciate ysolution.PNGour help with this!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @CF25 ,

In which table does this MONTH column reside? Is it in fact table only?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi @Pragati11 , the month column is from a date field in the orders table but there is a date field in the marketing costs table as well. 

Hi @CF25 ,

I suggest you introduce a CALENDAR table in your data model. Connect this table to both of your tables - Orders and Marketing Costs.

Then use Month column from Calendar table and metrics from other 2 tables on your report for visualisation.

The reason for using a CALENDAR table is it will avoid any data in-consistencies in other 2 tables like there could be data for a certain day/month in ORDERS table but not in Marketing table.

Try this approach and see if this works.

As part of best practices one should have a CALENDAR date table in Power BI for such reporting purposes.

You can refer following article on creating Calendar table:

https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@Pragati11 , thanks for your reply. I actually had tried that already. Power BI wont allow me to connect the tables by the column Channel AND through another table by date. I tried just having the calendar table connect to order table and to marketing costs table. Then it would show a proper breakdown of the months but an incorrect breakdown of the channel. 

Any insight on this?

Hi @CF25 ,

Are you looking for 2 different breakdowns?

1. By Channel
  2. By Month

If yes, then may be create summarised measures at Month and then at Channel level; then further use them in your report.
If it is possible share some sample data or your pbix file by removing any sensitive information from them.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@Pragati11 I found a solution. I restructured my data and now everything is pulling correctly. See attached image.

I really appreciate ysolution.PNGour help with this!

When I created a calculated column of summarising costs by Month - it would not show up at all on the chart.

Really appreciate your help with this @Pragati11 !

Yes, for now I want the 2 different breakdowns...but I would imagine there will be other ways I'd like to play around with it. 

I'm going to try those measures and see how it works. 

For now see attached 

file:///C:/Users/feigelstein/Downloads/marketingcosts%20-%20sample.htm 

file:///C:/Users/feigelstein/Downloads/orderdata%20-%20sample.htm

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.