Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Clay82
Frequent Visitor

Data modelling issue

Hi all,

New to Power BI and have come across a dataset that I am exploring and have an issue that I don't know how to solve when it comes to modelling and building relationships. 

I was hoping to get some help from the community.

I have this table with three columns that I have renamed to "Inventory_Lookup" (see pic) that I'm not able to connect correctly. I have listed my questions below. 

- Is this  a lookup/dimension table? Or is it actually a fact/data table?

- How do I connect it properly since there are no unique values in the table? Have I done it the right way as shown in the picture (both directions from sales table to product_lookup and one to many from product_lookup to Inventory_lookup)?

Thanks in advance.

Inventory_table.PNGRelationships.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Clay82 ,

1. The Inventory_Lookup is not a dimension table. A dimension table only rows with unique key values. It is a FACT table I would say.
  2. Product_Lookup to Inventory_Lookup relationship looks right.
  3. Sales to Product_Lookup relationship depends on what you want to retrieve based on this relationship? Do you want to access details in SALES table using Product_ID from PRODUCT_LOOKUP table? If yes then this relationship will work. But suppose you are planning to retrive "Stock_On_Hand" information in Sales table then you can also consider a direct relationship between SALES and Inventory_Lookup.

But, yes all the relationships in a data model depend on what you re planning to analyse in your report and at what granularity.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Clay82 ,

1. The Inventory_Lookup is not a dimension table. A dimension table only rows with unique key values. It is a FACT table I would say.
  2. Product_Lookup to Inventory_Lookup relationship looks right.
  3. Sales to Product_Lookup relationship depends on what you want to retrieve based on this relationship? Do you want to access details in SALES table using Product_ID from PRODUCT_LOOKUP table? If yes then this relationship will work. But suppose you are planning to retrive "Stock_On_Hand" information in Sales table then you can also consider a direct relationship between SALES and Inventory_Lookup.

But, yes all the relationships in a data model depend on what you re planning to analyse in your report and at what granularity.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Many thanks @Pragati11 !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.