Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rishirajdeb
Advocate I
Advocate I

Data modeling with discrete dimension table

Hello All,

I have a problem in hand and would appreciate if someone can help me out...

Let me explain the scenario =>

Fact table:

rishirajdeb_0-1623147495715.png

Dimension table:

rishirajdeb_1-1623147518917.png

Now the problem with this dimension table is that it does not contain records for each month (that’s how it is modelled at back-end). It needs to be read like this –

1. For product# 123, the value is 5 for Jan-20 as well as Feb-20. For Mar-20 onwards the new value should be 6
  2. For product# 456, the value from Jan-20 onwards is 7 (until a new value is maintained in future)

& so on….

Hence, if I need to compute the amount (value*unit) in the fact table – It should look like this:

rishirajdeb_2-1623147594492.png

It cannot be done by creating a composite key combining ‘date’ & ‘product#’ and relating both the tables,  as all the keys would not exist in the dimension table (amounts in red would be blank then).

Any idea how to achieve this? or the best possible options I have for this scenario?

(Of course, the data here is representative – the actual tables have huge data (in millions) & hence the solution needs to be dynamic)

Please stay safe!

Regards,

Rishi

@GilbertQ  @collinq  @ibarrau 

@v-luwang-msft  @v-xuding-msft 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rishirajdeb , Assume you have date or create a date from month year

date = "01-" & [Month year] //change data type to date

New column in Fact =

var _dt = maxx(filter(dim, dim[product#] =fact[product#] && dim[Date]<=fact[Date]),Dim[Date])
return
fact[amount]* maxx(filter(dim, dim[product#] =fact[product#] && dim[Date] =_dt),Dim[value])

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rishirajdeb , Assume you have date or create a date from month year

date = "01-" & [Month year] //change data type to date

New column in Fact =

var _dt = maxx(filter(dim, dim[product#] =fact[product#] && dim[Date]<=fact[Date]),Dim[Date])
return
fact[amount]* maxx(filter(dim, dim[product#] =fact[product#] && dim[Date] =_dt),Dim[value])

thanks @amitchandak, it's really helpful !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors