Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Qmars007
Frequent Visitor

Data modeling: R script error in Power Bi

Hello,

I try to run a simple regression script in Power BI but I get this message in Power BI:
DataSource.Error: ADO.NET: R script error. Error in eval(predvars, data, env) : object 'price' not found Calls: lm ... eval -> -> model.frame.default -> eval -> eval Execution halted Details: DataSourceKind=R DataSourcePath=R Message=R script error. Error in eval(predvars, data, env) : object 'price' not found Calls: lm ... eval -> -> model.frame.default -> eval -> eval Execution halted ErrorCode=-2147467259 ExceptionType=Microsoft.PowerBI.Scripting.R.Exceptions.RScriptRuntimeException

This simple regression script runs well in R Studio. What's wrong? Any idea?
Please find below the raw data. 

Many thanks

priceengine-sizehorsepower
7 REPLIES 7
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Qmars007,

You can modify your R script below: 

Regression <- lm(price ~ horsepower + enginesize, data=dataset)
#Show the results
summary(Regression)
with(dataset,plot(horsepower,enginesize))
abline(Regression)

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I was wondering with summary (regression) script, shouldn't I see the coefficients of the model in Power BI as below:

Residuals:
Min 1Q Median 3Q Max
-11180 -1908 -201 1629 13277

Coefficients:               Estimate Std. Error         t value              Pr(>|t|)
(Intercept)    -8510.47                    843.84                           -10.085            < 2e-16 ***
horsepower   60.21                        12.24                                4.917               1.85e-06 ***
enginesize     122.44                      11.01                              11.118             < 2e-16 ***
----
Signif. codes: 0 ‘***’ 0.001 ‘**’ 0.01 ‘*’ 0.05 ‘.’ 0.1 ‘ ’ 1

Residual standard error: 3678 on 196 degrees of freedom
Multiple R-squared: 0.7896, Adjusted R-squared: 0.7875
F-statistic: 367.8 on 2 and 196 DF, p-value: < 2.2e-16
-----------------------------------------------------------------
If that is not feasable in Power BI please let me know
Best

Qmars

Hi @Qmars007,

The summary (regression) result you mention is returned in R studio Console pane not in Plots pane. You need to ensure the result can be plot in Plots pane in R studio, then you can use the R script in Power BI to visualize data. For example, in my previous post, I use abline() to plot a chart. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyuan,
Thanks for your prompt response.
My aim is to display the summary of my regression analysis in Power BI as it does appear in R studio pane rather than the graph of the correlation between the two explanatory variables.
How can this be done? 
Thanks very much
Qmars

Hi @Qmars007,

Till now, it's almost the R issue instead of Power BI visual. As I mentioned before, you might need to write R script to ensure Summary(regression) result display in Plots pane within R studio. Then you can use the same script in Power BI desktop to plot the visual. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Thanks for your message. Would you be able to let me know "how to write R script to ensure Summary(regression) result display in Plots pane within R studio" in a way that I can see the executive summary of regression analysis? Kind regards Qmars
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Qmars007,

Would you please share the R script? 

If possible, please share pbix file as well. You can upload it to your OneDrive and send the share link to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.