Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nanma94
Helper III
Helper III

Data model question

Capture.PNG

I have this simplified model (its a lot messier than this:) where on one report, geo country slicer drives visualizations that take measure from both measure tables down below, while on the other report, Customer slicer drives visualization thats also takes measure from both measure tables. 

My current data model kind of works but if I can have sales table to associate with Geo/country table  directly, my result is slightly different from my current model, as the current model's sales by geo depends on customer/geo associations. Due to some data quality issues, there might be sales identified by geo, but the customer is not correctly associated with geo. 

So whats a good way to solve it so I can associate sales with GEO/country directly, now it errors out as it forms a loop. 

Thank you so much!
NM

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Since Your Geo table should be connected to both fact tables ,

1.  Remove the Join between Customer and Sales fact table 1

2. Copy Geo and Customer table using 'Reference' in Power Query and join Geo-> Customer-> Fact table 1.

So, in this case you will have the below joins:

Geo_copy -> Customer_Copy-> Facttable1

Geo -> Customer -> CRM Customer-> Facttable2

SInce you use 'Reference', Power BI will hit DB once and no performance issue as well.Hope this helps.

Thanks

Raj

Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@nanma94,

You can remove the join between Customer and Geo and Join Geo/Country with Sales. In that means, you can achieve a direct join between Geo and Sales.

You don't really need a join between your geo table and Customer Table unless you have a hirearchy of Geo and Customer.

If you really need a join between Geo and Customer, then keeping the join between them untouched, create an inactive relationship between your Geo and Sales Table based on your key.

Then when ever you are using a combination of these tables, you should create column/measure using USERELATIONSHIP() DAX Function

There's also another way to solve it. Just Duplicate you Geo table, and join the new Geo table with your Sales table. So in report where Geo table drives, use from the one that is not connected to the Customer and in report where Customer table drives, use the Geo table joined with the customer

Hope this clarifies your question!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.