Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

manoplaeli
Helper II
Helper II

Data model increase after import from excel

My PBIX file has increased from 8 MB to 89 MB after import the data from Excel to Power BI. Is this normal or there might be something wired in my data? This is just only right after I imported the data without start building the report.

How do I check which table and collumn causing the data increase. I do some Vlook up in excel (2 collumns). The data is only store in excel table not in power pivot data model.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@manoplaeli,

Which date do you refer to? You can delete the Vlookup columns in Excel, then import data from Excel to Power BI Desktop and recreate VLOOKUP columns using DAX.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@manoplaeli,

What is the size of your Excel file? Please make a copy of your Excel file, delete the VLOOKUP columns, then only connect to the copied Excel file in Power BI Desktop and check the size of the PBIX file.

Besides, would you mind sharing me the Excel file so that I can test it?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

Hi Thank for reply and sorry for delay response. My Excel file is 8 MB and I have deleted all Vlook up column. The PBIX file reduced from 80 MB to 50 MB. Unfotunately I can't share the Excel file due to data protection reason.

I found thta the date causing the file increase. I assume that is because the hierarchy funtion that maltiply the nubmer of data. Is there any way to work around with this file size?

Best,

Manop

@manoplaeli,

Which date do you refer to? You can delete the Vlookup columns in Excel, then import data from Excel to Power BI Desktop and recreate VLOOKUP columns using DAX.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.