Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data is irregular to forecast in Power BI Desktop

Hi,

I created a forcast trendline and added 180 forecast points. I found the forecast line is missing since I updated the data source yesterday,  the error is : a forecast can't be created because the timeline isn't evenly spaced. the dates or numbers in a valid timeline must have a consistent gap between consecutive points.

I think the forecasting line chart can automatically fill in some missing values to provide a forecast. Do you know the maximum number of missing data points that the forecast line chart to generate a forecast graph? E.g. if the total number of missing values is less than 50%(maybe 40% ) of the total number of data points, the algorithm will insert some points to performing the forecast, but if more than 50%(maybe 40%) , the forecast will fail. Forecast line chart.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Continuous dates is the key for the function Forecast. For more details, please check the third - party blog.

http://www.erikhudzik.com/2017/01/16/power-bi-forecasting-feature-and-when-your-data-is-too-irregular-to-forecast/

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Adebimpe
Frequent Visitor

Does anyone has a new solution to this, please. The solution link above is now obsolete

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Continuous dates is the key for the function Forecast. For more details, please check the third - party blog.

http://www.erikhudzik.com/2017/01/16/power-bi-forecasting-feature-and-when-your-data-is-too-irregular-to-forecast/

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.