Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Helen_Brunyee
Helper I
Helper I

Data is blank when using existing Power BI Dataset

Hello,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I am trying to connect to an existing Power Bi Dataset on Desktop.

I have used this function before absolutely fine, when using a dataset from a different workspace. When I connect to any datasets in this particular workspace, however, it pulls the fields fine, but the data is blank when trying to create a visual. I have gone through all the security settings and cannot make it pull the data through at all. I am the Owner of the original dataset, the workspace AND down as the Admin on the access settings of the workspace. These datasets are also connected to the same SQL database as the other workspace too.

I am not sure where to go from here or what to try - does anyone have any ideas of what I could have done differently with this workspace's datasets compared to the other?

Thank you in advance,

Helen

9 REPLIES 9
SBIM
Helper I
Helper I

We ran into this issue today as well. While testing I found logging out of my windows account in PBI then back in fixed the issue.

MathewNhari

I have been having the same problem. I have a live connection to the Power Bi Dataset. I can see my queries and measures in the Fields pane but when I try to create a visual, it's blank only things like date are appearing, Everything else is blank. Please help. I need it urgently.
Thanks in advance

Hamdimes
Regular Visitor

Hi @Helen_Brunyee ,

you should use on-promises data gateway and data will be displayed !

try and let me know the result 🙂

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Helen_Brunyee ,

Are you trying this in Power BI Desktop?

If yes, can you see the updated data connection under Data Source Settings:

Pragati11_0-1603444398208.png

Also, try to add few screenshots around your issue.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi @Pragati11 ,

Thank you for getting back to me.

It won't let me upload screenshots - it deletes them once I've posted for some reason...

Yes, this is on Power BI Desktop. Using 'Get Data' > 'Power BI Datasets' > Select the existing dataset

When opening the Data Source Settings, I get the choose dataset window again, rather than the usual window (which you screenshotted). 

Thanks,

Helen

Hi @Helen_Brunyee ,

It's kind of hard to judge the issue without screesnhots.

Try uploading jpg images again or try uploading them to a downloadable dropbox link may be.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @Pragati11 ,

I have converted them to JPG's, let see if this works:

Yes, this is on Power BI Desktop. Using 'Get Data' > 'Power BI Datasets' > Select the existing dataset:

1.jpg

When opening the Data Source Settings, I get the choose dataset window again, rather than the usual window (which you screenshotted). 

Capture3.jpg

For reference, here is what I get when trying to use the data (the column fields load, but when selecting, no data pulls through):

Capture2 (1).jpg

Thanks,

Helen

Hi @Helen_Brunyee ,

Thanks for the screenshots. They are really helpful.

You data source settings window is different because you are connected to a Online Power BI dataset.

I see in your next screesnhot that you are moving columns from multiple tables to your visual.

1. Is there a relationship between these tables in your underlying Power BI dataset?
  2. Are all these tables updated to the same timeframe or instance?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

I'm having exactly the same problem. My relationship is ok.

How am I doing:
1. I create a PBIX connecting to a Dataflow (Here, if I build the visuals, the data appears);
2. I publish PBIX only with the data set in PowerBI Services;
3. Connect to the data set. (here the data does not appear, both if I create a report in PowerBI Services and in this connection with the data set.)

HELP!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.