Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data in a Data View cannot refresh automatically

Hi everyone,

I'm having problem with data updates in "Data View". For the same table, I can see the new data properly displaying in Power Query Editor, but after I click "Save & Close" button, there is noting being re-evaluated. In the "Data View", it still shows the old data, unless I manually click the "Refresh Data" button. In this case, all the visuals are also updated and displays the new data too. But even with the refreshed table, after I published report to web service, the Visual still shows the old data. I'm using the latested 32 bit version. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what is the root of this problem, but here is what I did to solved this:

1. I retrieved the latest PBIX file from the web service, and same as before, those rows of data are still missing from Data View.

2. Manually did the refresh to retrieve (Re-evaluate) those missing rows form Power Query.

3. At this moment, those missing data point in visual would show up without any problem. I published it again to the web service, and the visual still broken.

4. I retrieved a PBIX file again, and this time, I deleted old query and redo them from scretch. After that, all rows shows in both Power Query Editor and Data View without problem. The visual displays all data points.

5. I published to web services again. Same as before, visual was still broken and rows were missing.

6. I retrieved the latest PBIX file from the web service. Swithing to Visual View, changed around with different columns from different tables for the Columns and Shared Axis in the Visual that had problem. All of sudden, this visual shows error and there is no highlight field as usual. Even I revert all setting back to what they were before, the visual still shows error and won't display anything.

7. Delete old Visual, and created a new one with the exact same parameters as before. The new visual works.

8. After publish to the web service, the visual just works. I retrieved a new PBIX files again, and all the rows are showing in the Data View.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

In power bi desktop, the data view will not update automatically until you click "Refresh" button. In power bi service, if you use import mode, you need to click "Refresh Now" button:

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, not on the web service. What I described was happened in Power BI desktop. The data indeed inside Power Query Editor, but I cannot see those rows inside "Data View". If I manually refresh that table in "Data View" by right click on the table name on the right side and select "Refresh Data", those missing rows will appears in the "Data View". Unfortunately, I cannot supply the PBIX file due to it contains confidential information.

Untitled.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what is the root of this problem, but here is what I did to solved this:

1. I retrieved the latest PBIX file from the web service, and same as before, those rows of data are still missing from Data View.

2. Manually did the refresh to retrieve (Re-evaluate) those missing rows form Power Query.

3. At this moment, those missing data point in visual would show up without any problem. I published it again to the web service, and the visual still broken.

4. I retrieved a PBIX file again, and this time, I deleted old query and redo them from scretch. After that, all rows shows in both Power Query Editor and Data View without problem. The visual displays all data points.

5. I published to web services again. Same as before, visual was still broken and rows were missing.

6. I retrieved the latest PBIX file from the web service. Swithing to Visual View, changed around with different columns from different tables for the Columns and Shared Axis in the Visual that had problem. All of sudden, this visual shows error and there is no highlight field as usual. Even I revert all setting back to what they were before, the visual still shows error and won't display anything.

7. Delete old Visual, and created a new one with the exact same parameters as before. The new visual works.

8. After publish to the web service, the visual just works. I retrieved a new PBIX files again, and all the rows are showing in the Data View.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors