Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kleinhansda
Regular Visitor

Data gateway - error generating an asymmetric key

Hi,

when installing the on-premise data gateway in personal mode I get a message saying 'error generating an asymmetric key' 🤔

2020-02-19 21_05_37-On-premises data gateway (personal mode).png

Mindestens ein Fehler ist aufgetreten.
Error generating an asymmetric key.
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GenerateAsymmetricKey()
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.DmtsGatewayCreation.CreateAndUpdateLocalService(String gatewayName, SecureString recoveryKey, String salt, Uri dmtsBackendUri)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.WizardSignInViewModel.ReconcileAndCreatePGWIfNeeded(IHttpClientDecorator httpDecorator)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.WizardSignInViewModel.<StartSignIn>d__35.MoveNext()
--- Ende der Stapelüberwachung vom vorhergehenden Ort, an dem die Ausnahme ausgelöst wurde ---
   bei System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   bei System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.WizardSignInViewModel.<DoNext>d__29.MoveNext()

I already did ..

• try 'log on as a service' in local security
  • try 'log on as local system' in services
  • check ports

The documentation is very rich, but also confusing 😕

Please help!

5 REPLIES 5
bschumacher
Regular Visitor

@kleinhansda

Are you still experiencing this issue? I am now encountering the same problem. If resolved, what did you do?

Hi @bschumacher !

Unfortunately I did not find a solution yet. Did you?

Best,

David

Unfortunately not...I am going to have a ticket opened with MSFT and will keep you posted on progress.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kleinhansda,

First, make sure you are using the latest version of personal gateway. Also check whether your computer meets the installation requirements(A 64-bit version of Windows operating systems) and some limitations (such as cannot be installed on a domain controller) should be avoided. Please find the installation details in this documentation.

If all of these(include the things what you done) are ok, you still can't install successfully, please go to your Temp folder (%temp%) and look for files that start with Power_BI_ to collect setup log.

In additonal, please review the replies in this below similar cases to check if it will be helpful for you.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/On-premies-data-gateway-personal-mode-Windows-Server-20... 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/quot-Error-generating-an-asymmetric-key-Key-not-valid-for-u... 

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think you are misunderstanding them, I am having the same Error. I think the installation part is finished but as it asked for an email address to sign in, and after my email was inputted the error occurs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.