Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VoltesDev
Helper IV
Helper IV

Data from Dataverse Choice column

Hi guys,

Need some clarification. I'm using Dataverse as my datasource, when my table have a Choice column like below:

VoltesDev_0-1653891902791.png

And this collumn/fields accept multiple value, so the data will be like this :

VoltesDev_1-1653891994619.png

When I connect it from Power BI, either Import Mode or Direct Query, I should get the NUMERIC VALUE AND DESCRIPTION (NAME), am I right ?

Because currently my Power BI only showing the numeric like this :

VoltesDev_2-1653892200452.png

Anyone know why ? and how to solve this issue ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  , 

On this post I have found an answer some time ago

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Can-t-see-the-display-value-of-a-choice-column-from-a-table...

So you have some older choice fields which are working correctly, but newly created ones don't?

The answer is this one:

This is a by-design scenario as Dataverse store Choice type value in numeric. As a workaround, mapping relationship between on choice type value can be exported via another API call, please try using Power BI Web connector and access source link via below:

https://<environmentName>/api/data/v9.2/EntityDefinitions(LogicalName='<TableName>')/Attributes(LogicalName='<Choice Name>')/Microsoft.Dynamics.CRM.PicklistAttributeMetadata?$select=LogicalName&$expand=GlobalOptionSet($select=Options)

where environment name = org12345678..api.crm6.dynamics.com

Essentially adding another table with the value/name pairing and  joining to the original table.   I have about 12 choices so far in my database, so this is painful. 

MFelix_0-1653926885763.png

@VoltesDev

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
fep
Helper I
Helper I

Is this the answer for getting numeric value from choice column? When exporting a dataverse table to excel will give me a numeric column, in dataverse is a text field.

Hi @fep ,

That happens because excel recognize the format and place it has number if it has no text characters.

Regards

Miguel Félix

@MFelix Sorry I meant the Lookup column. I excel this return the primary column (textfield) and the numeric value from the alternate key. This do not happen in Power BI.

Hi @fep ,

I got lost by this, what do you want to show exactly? what is the calculations you are searching for?

Regards

Miguel Félix

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @VoltesDev ,

Choice fields in Dataverse are stored has numbers and not fields, please check this documentation how to get the values you need.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/data-platform/azure-synapse-link-choices-powerbi

If you need further assistance please tell me.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix 

But that document is for getting data from Datalake (which probably the source is Dataverse). 

My report datasource is directly to Dataverse, by using the Dataverse buton ->

VoltesDev_0-1653920163790.png

Thanks

Hi  , 

On this post I have found an answer some time ago

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Can-t-see-the-display-value-of-a-choice-column-from-a-table...

So you have some older choice fields which are working correctly, but newly created ones don't?

The answer is this one:

This is a by-design scenario as Dataverse store Choice type value in numeric. As a workaround, mapping relationship between on choice type value can be exported via another API call, please try using Power BI Web connector and access source link via below:

https://<environmentName>/api/data/v9.2/EntityDefinitions(LogicalName='<TableName>')/Attributes(LogicalName='<Choice Name>')/Microsoft.Dynamics.CRM.PicklistAttributeMetadata?$select=LogicalName&$expand=GlobalOptionSet($select=Options)

where environment name = org12345678..api.crm6.dynamics.com

Essentially adding another table with the value/name pairing and  joining to the original table.   I have about 12 choices so far in my database, so this is painful. 

MFelix_0-1653926885763.png

@VoltesDev

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

With a lot of searching I was finally able to bring in the data using the web connector, what is the best approach to handling the join, with a field with multiple selected choices?

Do you have two tables or a single one? How is the data looking?

If you have two tables one with the multiple options and another with the answers, the best options is to do a merge based on the ID column.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two tables, the first being my primary table, that contains my Choices column that looks like this:

Then I have my second table that has the IDs with the corresponding values from the web pull.

Do I need to split up my first column before I do the merge you mentioned?

I am very new to Power Bi so apoligies if this is basic stuff.

Hi @Anonymous ,

If the values you present are in a single cell then yes otherwise you won't be abble to match the ID with the value in each line.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors